Dispersion "not applicable when there is only one proxy"?

Not applicable

I have two simple reports. They have the following filters:

1. (apiproxy eq 'datamodels')

2. (apiproxy eq 'datamodels') and (request_verb eq 'GET')

Report i gives me a population dispersion chart, as expected.

The second gives me: not applicable when there is only one proxy

Why?

0 10 270
10 REPLIES 10

#2 is working fine for one our internal orgs. can you give us more information about your org? do you have both filters in the report at the same time?

It is not that I don't get a report for 2, I do not get the population dispersion characterization. No only one of the filters was used at one time.

ok, are you able to upload a screenshot for #2?

Here is the entire report definition:

screen-shot-2017-11-20-at-90016-pm.png

Jim, Can you provide what your report metrics and dimensions were for the two reports?

Metrics were:

Request Processing Latency

Target Response time

Traffic

Dimensions:

Client IP Address -or- Request Verb

Note that if there is more than one client IP address in the population, I get the dispersion characterization. If there is one IP, I do not and instead get "not applicable when there is only one proxy"

Jim, I looked at your screenshots and can explain this better. Dispersion charts are used to show the range of metric values ( box plots) for the set of dimension values. But when you have only one value for client_ip, there is only one aggregated metric - meaning min, max are all the same. So there is no dispersion chart. I hope this clarifies

thanks for your interest but what you say is not true. The lines in the report with which the "dispersion" is reported are associated with each of the individual metrics specified. When there is more than 1 client IP, I see a box plot that correlates with the tabular report of the metrics. This is just a bug. It makes no difference how may subgroups(per IP) of metrics there are, the dispersion is intended to be a statistical representation of the total population. It seems this is just a bug in this crummy reporting system.

Thanks for everyone's interest. I am referring this to Apogee support.

Jim, here are a few screenshots to further explain my position from above. The first screen shot is a report definition.

Metrics:

Avg of Total Response Time

Avg of Response Processing Latency

Dimension

Proxy

The chart shows results for two proxies (for the time range). THe dispersion chart is associated with each of the metric graphs (one for total response time and another for repsonse processing latency). Please note the dispersion is exactly for the min and max of the values (two to be precise - two proxies) for each metric.

screen-shot-2017-11-20-at-100823-pm.png

screen-shot-2017-11-20-at-100752-pm.png

Now, for this same report, I added a filter to only select a single proxy.

screen-shot-2017-11-20-at-101102-pm.png

For this proxy, you can see the charts (same metrics) do not show any dispersion. The reason being there is only one data point.

screen-shot-2017-11-20-at-101025-pm.png

I hope this further clarifies. Regards