Configure 2-way TLS between Apigee Edge Microgateway and Apigee Edge Cloud

Hello,

From the Apigee doc I understand that it is possible to configure the Apigee microgateway to support the client TLS when connecting to target endpoints, however I didn't find anything concerning the client TLS between the microgateway and Edge Public Cloud.

Is this possible?

What we would like to do is to secure the connection between the microgateway and Edge Cloud so that only the micrgateways having a specific client certificate would be able to call Edge Cloud to retrieve the public key (https://myorg-myenv.apigee.net/edgemicro-auth/publicKey), the list of products (https://myorg-myenv.apigee.net/edgemicro-auth/products), etc.

Thanks in advance,

Davide

Solved Solved
0 6 1,040
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Community Member
Not applicable
6 REPLIES 6

Former Community Member
Not applicable

Hello Srinandan,

I already knew that section, but unfortunately that doesn't help me.

Tha section refers to setting up the microgateway to support TLS when receiving traffic, so a server. What I need to do it to setup the 2 way TLS to secure the microgateways' connections with Edge Cloud. In this case the microgateway would be the client.

Hope this clarifies.

Former Community Member
Not applicable

ah! right. I got it. I should've read it more closely.

The answer is yes, but not out-of-the-box. It will require two changes:

1) You will have to setup a virtual host in Apigee Edge that enables two way TLS. That's the easy part.

2) We'd have to make some changes to MG to use client certs when making the connection to those endpoints. For this change, you're welcome to submit a PR or open an issue of GitHub and we'll add it to the future releases.

NOTE: The endpoint used by MG for analytics will NOT have two way TLS. That will continue to use one way TLS and OAuth.

Hello,

Thanks for the help!

No problem for the analytics, but at least we would secure the access to the /edgemicro-auth/products and /edgemicro-auth/publicKey resources, today completely opened.

Concerning point (2), do you have a link concerning GiHub?

Do you have an idea about the time needed for this feature to be released?

Thanks again!

Davide

Former Community Member
Not applicable