Edge system topologies

oyamatakuro
Participant IV

Hello,

My undestanding that any Edge components can be distributedly installed on different servers and they act as a single Apigee Edge system.

I know there are some installtion topologies examples of Edge in the below page.

https://docs.apigee.com/private-cloud/latest/installation-topologies

I have a few questions on the contents. It would be appreciated if you can give me the information.

1. In the topolgies, ZooKeeper and Cassandara are placed on the same node.
Is it mandatory or recommended that ZooKeeper and Cassandra are installed on the same node? If "yes", I would like to know the reason.

2. Same as 1, Router and Message Procesor are placed on the same node.

Is it mandatory or recommended that Router and Message Processor are installed on the same node? If "yes", why?

3. Same as 1 and 2, Edge UI and Management Server are placed on the same node.

Is it mandatory or recommended that Edge UI and Management Server are installed on the same node? If "yes", why?

4. This may be a general question on Postgresql. In the topologies, Posgreqsl is built as master-slave configuration.
Can't Postgresql provide active-active configuration with synchronizing the data between them?

Thanks,

0 5 266
5 REPLIES 5

Not applicable
@Takuro Oyama,

These topologies are the optimized ones from servers' footprint perspective. Also, find answers to your questions, in the same sequence:

1. No, it's not mandatory. It's recommended to optimize number of servers.

2. Router and Message Processor are not mandated to be installed on the same node. For quite high traffic, generally, 2 Routers are sufficient while it may require 4-6 Message Processors.

3. Again, it's not mandated.

4. No, active-active configuration of PostgreSQL is not currently supported as part of the Apigee platform.

Cheers,

Rajesh Doda

@rdoda,

Thank you for your answers.

One more questions on ZooKeeper and Message Processor.

In the topologies example, the cluster consists of 3 nodes.

Is it required or recommneded that the number of nodes should be more than 3 nodes and why?

Best regards,

Takuro Oyama

I think, you meant Zookeeper rather Message processor.

3 nodes is recommended cluster configuration for Cassandra and Zookeeper to have HA. This recommendation is irrespective of if they are being used as part of the Apigee platform or not.

I am sorry, yes, I meant ZooKeeper and Casssandra.

Thanks for the info.

@rdoda,

Thank you for your help.

Pls let me ask you one more question.

Is there any restriction or recommendation on Edge system topology configuration?

I know that all-in-one installation is only for prototyping or testing. Iwould like to know if there is any restriction or recommendation other than this.

Thanks,