Streetcarts build issue, sleep module error, node and gyp

Hi,

Trying to run the streetcarts-config-seed script, but I can't seem to get past the node error about not finding the 'sleep' module.

I tried #npm install sleep, but i get errors, see below.

[root@localhost seed]# node streetcarts-config-seed configure-baas ./streetcarts-config.json module.js:471 throw err; ^ Error: Cannot find module 'sleep' at Function.Module._resolveFilename (module.js:469:15) at Function.Module._load (module.js:417:25) at Module.require (module.js:497:17) at require (internal/module.js:20:19) at Object.<anonymous> (/opt/apigee/streetcarts-master/streetcarts/proxies/src/gateway/bin/seed/streetcarts-config-seed.js:5:13) at Module._compile (module.js:570:32) at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:579:10) at Module.load (module.js:487:32) at tryModuleLoad (module.js:446:12) at Function.Module._load (module.js:438:3)

[root@localhost seed]# npm install sleep > sleep@3.0.1 install /opt/apigee/streetcarts-master/streetcarts/proxies/src/gateway/bin/seed/node_modules/sleep > node-gyp rebuild gyp WARN EACCES user "root" does not have permission to access the dev dir "/root/.node-gyp/6.11.4" gyp WARN EACCES attempting to reinstall using temporary dev dir "/opt/apigee/streetcarts-master/streetcarts/proxies/src/gateway/bin/seed/node_modules/sleep/.node-gyp" make: Entering directory `/opt/apigee/streetcarts-master/streetcarts/proxies/src/gateway/bin/seed/node_modules/sleep/build' CXX(target) Release/obj.target/node_sleep/sleep.o make: g++: Command not found make: *** [Release/obj.target/node_sleep/sleep.o] Error 127 make: Leaving directory `/opt/apigee/streetcarts-master/streetcarts/proxies/src/gateway/bin/seed/node_modules/sleep/build' gyp ERR! build error gyp ERR! stack Error: `make` failed with exit code: 2 gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onExit (/opt/node/node-v6.11.4/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/build.js:276:23) gyp ERR! stack at emitTwo (events.js:106:13) gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:191:7) gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:219:12) gyp ERR! System Linux 3.10.0-693.el7.x86_64 gyp ERR! command "/opt/node/node-v6.11.4/bin/node" "/opt/node/node-v6.11.4/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild" gyp ERR! cwd /opt/apigee/streetcarts-master/streetcarts/proxies/src/gateway/bin/seed/node_modules/sleep gyp ERR! node -v v6.11.4 gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.4.0 gyp ERR! not ok npm WARN streetcarts-seeder@0.0.1 No repository field. npm ERR! Linux 3.10.0-693.el7.x86_64 npm ERR! argv "/opt/node/node-v6.11.4/bin/node" "/opt/node/node-v6.11.4/bin/npm" "install" "sleep" npm ERR! node v6.11.4 npm ERR! npm v3.10.10 npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE npm ERR! sleep@3.0.1 install: `node-gyp rebuild` npm ERR! Exit status 1 npm ERR! npm ERR! Failed at the sleep@3.0.1 install script 'node-gyp rebuild'. npm ERR! Make sure you have the latest version of node.js and npm installed. npm ERR! If you do, this is most likely a problem with the sleep package, npm ERR! not with npm itself. npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system: npm ERR! node-gyp rebuild npm ERR! You can get information on how to open an issue for this project with: npm ERR! npm bugs sleep npm ERR! Or if that isn't available, you can get their info via: npm ERR! npm owner ls sleep npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above. npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request: npm ERR! /opt/apigee/streetcarts-master/streetcarts/proxies/src/gateway/bin/seed/npm-debug.log [root@localhost seed]# ^C [root@localhost seed]#

0 3 1,348
3 REPLIES 3

Hey Samuel,

Do you have the latest version of node.js and npm installed?

I find that the NVM (node version manager) plugin works great for managing the version of node.js you have installed. This utility also works great for making sure you're working off the same version of node that the public cloud supports (currently 0.10.32). You can find it here.

For updating npm, you should simply need to run:

npm install npm -g

I would first update node.js, then npm and then try reinstalling sleep. See if that will resolve your issue.

Thanks!

I had a very recent node version, but i did run the npm update, and 'sleep' is installed...i think: when i run the program now i see:

sleep: using busy loop fallback

not too sure what that means, but the program did run!

@samuel ucich, if sleep is still tripping you up, go into the JS files here and remove or comment:

var sleep = require('sleep'); at the top

and

sleep.sleep(1); in the makeRequest function

I've done that successfully in the past.