How does the "private" setting on a product work?

You can indicate that an API product is "private", and the UI says, "Visible only to external developers with explicit permission during app registration". How do you give developers explicit permission to select private products during app registration?

Solved Solved
2 10 1,297
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

sarthak
Participant V
@Floyd Jones

This is how I have used it in the past :

Define an APi Product as Private so that it is not available in the dev portal for self registration.

Now go to the "Developer Apps" section and select the developer and the app which should be assigned the product.

When you click on the + Product link there in the management UI Developers App section the private product will appear in the dropdown and just assign it to the developer app.

Now the Developer will be able to see his app with the new product from the Dev Portal.

There might be other ways in which this can be used as well .

Thanks

Sarthak

View solution in original post

@Floyd Jones ,

Unfortunately, Apigee Developer Portal only supports Public API Products, It doesn't list Private or Internal API Products during APP registration.

If you intend to use Internal or Private API products as told by @sarthak , you need to use Apigee Edge Management UI.

Cheers,

Anil Sagar

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

sarthak
Participant V
@Floyd Jones

This is how I have used it in the past :

Define an APi Product as Private so that it is not available in the dev portal for self registration.

Now go to the "Developer Apps" section and select the developer and the app which should be assigned the product.

When you click on the + Product link there in the management UI Developers App section the private product will appear in the dropdown and just assign it to the developer app.

Now the Developer will be able to see his app with the new product from the Dev Portal.

There might be other ways in which this can be used as well .

Thanks

Sarthak

@Floyd Jones ,

Unfortunately, Apigee Developer Portal only supports Public API Products, It doesn't list Private or Internal API Products during APP registration.

If you intend to use Internal or Private API products as told by @sarthak , you need to use Apigee Edge Management UI.

Cheers,

Anil Sagar

sarthak
Participant V

I do not think functionality wise there is much difference between the two.

But I typically think of Internal as a API Product which is not ready for consumption. So it is in development phase and anything marked as internal should never be used in production.

Whereas private is something which is can be made available to developers.

I might be completely wrong here , but this is my interpretation.

Thanks

Sarthak

Thanks, guys. Does either of you happen to know what the practical difference is between "internal" and "private"? They seem to behave identically.

It depends on how your portal and products are created and who your target audience is. By default, all products marked Public will be displayed on a portal for a user to consume. (Note:this setting can be over-ridden in portal and show only certain ones regardless of what Edge has)

If you have "Internal users" to the portal along with external, you an create "Role" in Portal that allows them to see all Products marked as "Internal" product, whether its for testing or anything else.

Above being said, Private will be private for all and a admin will have to go to Edge/Portal to add that to a users app.

Hope it helps

Thanks again! There really is no functionality difference, and there's nothing in the dev portal that shows you it's an "internal" product vs. a "private" product. I've updated the docs accordingly.

If I change a product to internal or private how long does it take to replicate to the dev portal? I made the change. is there a push function?

Its dependent on your Portal Sync Scripts. In some cases its refreshed on some interval. The way I have tested it is by going to Dev Portal and log as admin, under "Home" sign go to Flush all cache or Flush API Products.

Hope that helps

@Ben Rodriguez , Please open a new thread by posting a new Question. Above thread is more than 12 months old. Answers are strictly for answers.

banto_78
Participant III

Just one question related to this topic: once the private api is exposed to a specific app only, although is hidden to the others, is physically reachable by others app through Edge? If so, does Edge out-of-box make a check to verify if a call on the private api comes from a specific app?