How to properly manage developers in Drupal vs Edge

anton
Participant V

Hello,

We have the portal running at developer.freightos.com.

Several new devs signed up and I see their records in Edge.

Then we improved the dev version of the portal and promoted it to live.

It seems that it removed all the devs that signed up.

Two questions:

1. How to restore the devs who signed up previously?

2. How to avoid this in the future?

Thanks,

Anton.

Solved Solved
0 3 542
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anton+Bar ,

Great to know that several new Devs signed up & At the same time feel sad that you lost them due to promotion. Find more about same here.

Actually, I have mentioned about same in earlier question asked by you. Refer to my answer here, where i have mentioned,

Note : Do not overwrite Dev or Test database with live after initial promotion. Doing so, You might loose content generated in live portal like users registered, forum posts etc. See the workflow process as explained in Pantheon here & configuration migration options.

Regarding, How to restore the devs who signed up previously?

I have mentioned about same in same answer here,

Take backups before each migration. Automatic backups can be configured. See more about same here.
  • If you have a backup, You can restore from the pantheon dashboard.
  • If not, You will see those users exist in Apigee Edge Org under Developers. You can sync the developers between Edge Org & Developer Portal by navigating to "admin/people" & click on "Dev Portal Develper Sync" tab. It will sync users back to developer portal from Edge Org.
    • Only down side is, Developers need to reset the password because those are stored only in portal & they are lost permanently when you override same.

How to avoid this in the future?

• Like i have mentioned here,
    • Take backups before each migration. Automatic backups can be configured. See more about same here.
    • You will move code & database ONLY First time from Dev -> Test -> Live
    • Subsequent releases, You will move only code from Dev -> Test -> Live. Config (Admin Screen) changes need to be redone / migrate as code using module like features that comes out of the box with Apigee Developer Portal. You might not do config changes frequently.
    • See the workflow process as explained in Pantheon here.

Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @Anton+Bar ,

Great to know that several new Devs signed up & At the same time feel sad that you lost them due to promotion. Find more about same here.

Actually, I have mentioned about same in earlier question asked by you. Refer to my answer here, where i have mentioned,

Note : Do not overwrite Dev or Test database with live after initial promotion. Doing so, You might loose content generated in live portal like users registered, forum posts etc. See the workflow process as explained in Pantheon here & configuration migration options.

Regarding, How to restore the devs who signed up previously?

I have mentioned about same in same answer here,

Take backups before each migration. Automatic backups can be configured. See more about same here.
  • If you have a backup, You can restore from the pantheon dashboard.
  • If not, You will see those users exist in Apigee Edge Org under Developers. You can sync the developers between Edge Org & Developer Portal by navigating to "admin/people" & click on "Dev Portal Develper Sync" tab. It will sync users back to developer portal from Edge Org.
    • Only down side is, Developers need to reset the password because those are stored only in portal & they are lost permanently when you override same.

How to avoid this in the future?

• Like i have mentioned here,
    • Take backups before each migration. Automatic backups can be configured. See more about same here.
    • You will move code & database ONLY First time from Dev -> Test -> Live
    • Subsequent releases, You will move only code from Dev -> Test -> Live. Config (Admin Screen) changes need to be redone / migrate as code using module like features that comes out of the box with Apigee Developer Portal. You might not do config changes frequently.
    • See the workflow process as explained in Pantheon here.

Hope it helps.

@Anil Sagar - I have three follow up questions then:

1) I do see the developers in Edge, any way to copy them to the portal?

2) What if the same developer listed in Edge registers again in the portal?

3) I copied the DB only because I thought it contains the Drupal settings. Is it not the case?

Thanks,
Anton

1) I do see the developers in Edge, any way to copy them to the portal?

I have already answered same above.

You can sync the developers between Edge Org & Developer Portal by navigating to "admin/people" in developer portal & click on "Dev Portal Develper Sync" tab. It will sync users back to developer portal from Edge Org.
Only down side is, Developers need to reset the password because those are stored only in portal & they are lost permanently when you override same.

2) What if the same developer listed in Edge registers again in the portal?

Once you do the sync between portal & edge, Developer sees a message that says user already exists, Please login.

3) I copied the DB only because I thought it contains the Drupal settings. Is it not the case?

It contains both config (Drupal Settings) & Content (Like users, posts, comments etc). You need to use features module to export config to code & then move code. More about features module here.

More about Configuration Management in Drupal 7 here.