Update on using Java policies in a free org. What are the limitations?

Not applicable

Hi,

I am using a free organisation and I understand that it does not support Java callouts. I have noticed that if we include the jars in the resources folder and create a java callout policy for it, then deploy it into our proxy, it does deploy successfully. However, some java policies do run and some don't. Some policies, we get permission errors. I was just wondering, does anyone have any updates on what is working in the free org?

Some things that I have found

1) I have seen an article that talks about how to find out what jars are avaiable in the current environment. Dino posted a proxy that we can call to find out the available jars. See https://community.apigee.com/questions/15249/how-do-i-get-the-list-of-jar-libraries-already-ava.html

When I run it in the free org, I get the following error. Exception java.security.AccessControlException: access denied ("java.util.PropertyPermission" "*" "read,write") A pretty big sign that I shouldn't run java policies in the free org? 😉

2) I have found that the policy that has worked in the free org is a java policy that does not call a 3rd party jar. It just accesses context variables and KVM values. When I tried a java policy that signs a JWT by using a 3rd part jar, I got permission errors.

My main questions is, does anoyone know the limitations of running a java callout in the free org? eg what jars are available, what permissions do we have? Or is it not worth using a java callout in a free org because it's not supported and reliable?

Also, if I use a paidorg and I need to write a java policy that needs 3rd party jar that is not available in the Apigee org, what is the best practice to include the jar? Include it in the resources folder in the proxy? Or create a fat jar for the java policy to include the jar?

Thanks, Marlene

PS. I did see this article but since it's 2 years old, I wanted to know if there are any updates.

https://community.apigee.com/questions/10452/java-callouts-are-they-supported-on-free-version.html

1 1 159
1 REPLY 1

Hi Marlene

Some answers for you

1. The error you see - "AccessControlException" - indicates that something that used to be possible and permitted in a free org, is no longer permitted. Specifically, reading and writing Java properties. That callout from the article you cited reads the Java system properties. This is now prohibited by the security policy in place. The error you see does not necessarily mean that you should not run Java callouts in a free organization. It is more specific: you cannot run a Java callout that tries to read system Properties. (Check the source code of that callout for further insight) Notwithstanding all of that, I believe the exact terms still say the equivalent of: "Java callouts are not supported on free organizations." What is possible and what is supported may be different.
  2. Regarding the permission errors you saw in the free org when using a Java policy that performs JWT operations, this again is related to increased restrictions. In the answer above I told you that reading java system Properties is now restricted. Another restricted operation is Java reflection. And some of the JWT jars perform reflection, or depend on *other* jars that perform reflection. This causes the loading of the JAR to fail, which is probably the error you saw.
  3. Regarding your main question - what are the specific restrictions of running a Java callout in a free organization... I think the terms still say "not supported" so your question is somewhat moot.

@Srinandan Sridhar may be able to provide insight into Java callout restrictions in commercial organizations in Edge SaaS.