How to update API proxy created from open API spec when spec is modified

Not applicable

Dear All,

I have created a proxy using Open API spec (Swagger 2.0 YAML format). First I created the spec in Edge and then created the proxy from the spec. Proxy is working as expected.

Now when I updated the spec (included one more path) but that is not reflected in the Proxy. Is there a way to update the Proxy as per new spec? I am pretty new in Apigee, tried in community and in doc but didn't find any answer in this topic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Joydeep

0 3 1,898
3 REPLIES 3

Hi Joydeep, good question, thanks for asking.

It sounds like you're familiar with how the OpenAPI specification can be used to author flows in your proxy. However, today that is a 1-way operation, since a flow is derived from rather than associated with an operation in the spec. For instance, you could edit the flow condition so that it didn't match the operation it was derived from, and that's allowed because there is no association back to the operation as defined in the spec.

If you were to update the spec, such as to add a new operation, then you could create a new flow in the proxy editor that leverages that new information. We have been considering whether it would be valuable enough to users to track the associations more closely and to prompt to update flows when the associated operations change, but that would require some non-trivial work, so we depend on feedback like yours to prioritize. (It sounds like you are someone who would like this feature?)

Thank you for valuable feedback.

Yes I became familiar about Open API spec recently. And I would like to use this feature. Because in my opinion we should first design the API layer and then build the API/Proxy. So it would be great if few options are provided as below.

1. If I edit the spec while saving it should prompt the associated proxy name and ask for update the proxy accordingly. And vice versa, i feel its important to have the spec updated. As the spec can be given outside (developer community) and they can understand the functionality very well.

2. I should be able to save the spec in a new revision and then create a proxy as a new revision of existing proxy.

Normally in our enterprise we follow design first approach and need to provide documentations as well. I feel it would be helpful if this features can be added.

Thanks & regards

Joydeep

If you don't already know, you can click on the Add New Flow button (highlighted in blue) and you will be prompted to add any new operations from the associated Open API Spec.

6244-screen-shot-2018-01-05-at-112543-am.png