How to establish Kakfa integration with Apigee?

Not applicable

Hi Folks,

Just looking for some read on Kafka integration with Apigee?

As a part of our project deliverable, the client has requested us to integrate Kafka with Apigee. I infer that this can be done through Java call out policy. However, I do not see anything substantial that I can refer to. Request some insights on this.

Also, any suggestion on limitations on Kafka back end integration?

0 2 5,423
2 REPLIES 2

Well you've got lots of options.

You haven't been to specific about exactly what you want to do. "Integrate" isn't very illuminating. Producer or Consumer? or something else?

• I believe that you should be able to use a Java callout policy built on top of the Producer API to emit data into Kafka. I have never done this but it should be straightforward.
  • You could also try using nodejs. The one drawback here is that the nodejs version embedded in Apigee Edge today is v0.10, so... quite old. Not sure if the kafka-node module runs on the older version of node. In the not-too-distant future you'll be able to use a current node version with Apigee Edge, but for now, the existing nodejs support is old.
  • Of course you may already have an existing producer or consumer application, and you want to wrap it with a secure API. In that case an API proxy in Apigee Edge can act as the API facade on that existing application.

Give it a try!

We will be interested to hear what you build, and how you get along with your efforts.

nathanaw
Participant V

we can use kafka rest proxy where the proxy calls another kafka rest proxy -- sort of a proxy chaining