Setting up api management for business

Not applicable

Hello,

I am a nodejs developer and the company I work for has asked me to look into pricing for an api management platform here at ApiGee but I am not completely clear on setting up something like this and hoping the community can help. On another nodejs project I worked on it was the enterprises in house infrastructure team that set up an api management platform (WSO2).

My questions are:

Is it usually another team that sets this up or the developer?

If it is up to the developer, it seems there are a few things to get answers to before coming up with a price quote, like what kind of behavior is the system expected to have (ex. # of api calls, # of environments, etc.) which currently I have no idea of. Any thoughts would be much appreciated?

Thanks in advance!

Solved Solved
1 2 153
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Ryan Storm!

As you might have anticipated, someone was going to reply "it depends" so that will be me 🙂

But I'll offer some thoughts..

1. Many groups admin Apigee Edge, and portal. Dev, Operations, IT, API teams, infrastructure, architecture, etc. And quite often it is shared.. DevOps, or Dev -> Ops, sometimes Dev -> IT and sometimes IT -> Dev -> IT.

2. Which group does it make sens to fund through? Who can secure operational funds past purchasing (important for scale and sustaining the platform)

3. Who will be in the best position to provide administration support and governance? What type of reach will these API's have? Global? Regional?

4. Does it make sense to have an initial strategy where early adoption might be in dev but eventually shift to another org or group. (Not that it has to).

5. Will you want a developer portal for self service and on-boarding to the API platform? Who would likely own and support that?

And for your question "If it is up to the developer.."
Determining # of API calls is very tricky if you don't already have services in production. Talk to the Apigee sales team for determining the best option https://apigee.com/api-management/#/pricing (chat bubble, or contact link at the bottom) . Environments can be sketched out. Determine where the API calls will be made, along with the release process.For example:

/ US East 1 & 2
Dev -> Staging -> Prod -> <

\ US West 1 & 2

Give the Trial a try and start to get a sense of what type of flow, analytics, caching, kvm needs you may have. What type of API architecture (is there?) will you use?

Shoot more questions this way.. we are here to help.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @Ryan Storm!

As you might have anticipated, someone was going to reply "it depends" so that will be me 🙂

But I'll offer some thoughts..

1. Many groups admin Apigee Edge, and portal. Dev, Operations, IT, API teams, infrastructure, architecture, etc. And quite often it is shared.. DevOps, or Dev -> Ops, sometimes Dev -> IT and sometimes IT -> Dev -> IT.

2. Which group does it make sens to fund through? Who can secure operational funds past purchasing (important for scale and sustaining the platform)

3. Who will be in the best position to provide administration support and governance? What type of reach will these API's have? Global? Regional?

4. Does it make sense to have an initial strategy where early adoption might be in dev but eventually shift to another org or group. (Not that it has to).

5. Will you want a developer portal for self service and on-boarding to the API platform? Who would likely own and support that?

And for your question "If it is up to the developer.."
Determining # of API calls is very tricky if you don't already have services in production. Talk to the Apigee sales team for determining the best option https://apigee.com/api-management/#/pricing (chat bubble, or contact link at the bottom) . Environments can be sketched out. Determine where the API calls will be made, along with the release process.For example:

/ US East 1 & 2
Dev -> Staging -> Prod -> <

\ US West 1 & 2

Give the Trial a try and start to get a sense of what type of flow, analytics, caching, kvm needs you may have. What type of API architecture (is there?) will you use?

Shoot more questions this way.. we are here to help.

Thanks, exactly the 'depends' answer I was hoping for!