Started to work on the new dev portal in Drupal and it's not trivial... several questions

anton
Participant V

1. How do I replace the default home page with a jumbotron image + title and subtitle? Do I need to create a whole new theme just for this?

2. When I edit blocks and want to add a picture, it opens an empty Media Browser w/o an option to upload or manage the media files. Very counter-intuitive.

3. If I do want to create a new theme -

3.1 - where do I download the source files?

3.2 - will I need both the PHP a nd the MySQL DB?

3.3 - XAMPP should work for this?

3.4 - any other instructions / help except the 101 here?

3. How do I create my own footer except by creating my own theme?

Having asked all that I REALLY would prefer the a whole lot simpler portal config tool that I tried in Apigee Enterprise. The Drupal thing slows me down and adds another several days on the project :((

Solved Solved
0 4 239
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anton+Bar ,

Agree. But, Believe me, It's (Drupal Portal) very powerful like ability to modify css, templates, admin configuration screens, contributed modules etc. Initially, It looks like configuring the developer portal own theme looks complex, But, Once you setup (It will takes less than 10 minutes), you will appreciate the flexibility it provides.

As a community, We are here to help you to get started. Regarding,

How do I replace the default home page with a jumbotron image + title and subtitle? Do I need to create a whole new theme just for this?

• You don't need to create a whole new theme, you will create sub theme & See "Remove the Front Page Default Blocks " here that explains how to override front page title & subtitle, You can replace the image using background image in CSS.

When I edit blocks and want to add a picture, it opens an empty Media Browser w/o an option to upload or manage the media files. Very counter-intuitive.

Agree, It should be lot simpler. I am working on creating a theme similar to enterprise portal & making the configuration much simpler like the same. I will keep you posted.

You will take git checkout from pantheon dashboard.

You can change to code & check in to see the changes in dev environment. If you would like to work in much faster pace, you can setup local instance. In that case, you need PHP & MySQL. You can take the backups in pantheon, download the mysql db & import in local machine.

Yes, It should work.

I understand, It should be much simpler. We will make it much simpler. We will keep you posted.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@Anton+Bar ,

Agree. But, Believe me, It's (Drupal Portal) very powerful like ability to modify css, templates, admin configuration screens, contributed modules etc. Initially, It looks like configuring the developer portal own theme looks complex, But, Once you setup (It will takes less than 10 minutes), you will appreciate the flexibility it provides.

As a community, We are here to help you to get started. Regarding,

How do I replace the default home page with a jumbotron image + title and subtitle? Do I need to create a whole new theme just for this?

• You don't need to create a whole new theme, you will create sub theme & See "Remove the Front Page Default Blocks " here that explains how to override front page title & subtitle, You can replace the image using background image in CSS.

When I edit blocks and want to add a picture, it opens an empty Media Browser w/o an option to upload or manage the media files. Very counter-intuitive.

Agree, It should be lot simpler. I am working on creating a theme similar to enterprise portal & making the configuration much simpler like the same. I will keep you posted.

You will take git checkout from pantheon dashboard.

You can change to code & check in to see the changes in dev environment. If you would like to work in much faster pace, you can setup local instance. In that case, you need PHP & MySQL. You can take the backups in pantheon, download the mysql db & import in local machine.

Yes, It should work.

I understand, It should be much simpler. We will make it much simpler. We will keep you posted.

Thanks, the git push takes 5-10 min so I really need to setup it on my comp. Where is the DB configuration in the code I got from Pantheon?

Git push should be few seconds, I am not sure why it takes 5- 10 min. May be your network ? Initial git pull will take 5 - 10 min, Git push should be few seconds thing.

Any ways, Once you have the db in mysql, Just create a settings.local.php file with attached file inside "sites/deafult" folder, change the dbname, mysqlusername, password.

settingslocal-copyphp.txt

it's what pantheon says in their console... I saw it's much faster too. thanks