Quota policy - Shaping transactions - Should not throttle/reject

I have a requirement wherein we need to shape the transactions if APIGEE receives more transactions than the specified limit , it should not reject . Instead , the exceeded transactions should be processed by aPIGEE in the next time interval . We have this feature on IBM Websphere Datapower . Could you please let me know if we have this on APIGEE as welll and if so - how I can implement it .

For example quota policy is 100 transactions in 30 minutes and APIGEE receives 150 transactions in 30 minutes . The exceeded count i.e 50 should not be rejected and instead should be processed in the next time interval.

Quota policy.

Solved Solved
0 1 149
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

An API is composed of a request followed by a response.

There is no queueing mechanism to it and implementing one due to backend restrains, would mean that the response to the client would take a long time ("wait until the next window") to go back and it is not recommended at all.

By sending an error response back, you can instruct the developers, and therefore the client applications, to retry the request depending on the quota configurations and limitations on the backend. This is the more natural API approach to this problem.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

An API is composed of a request followed by a response.

There is no queueing mechanism to it and implementing one due to backend restrains, would mean that the response to the client would take a long time ("wait until the next window") to go back and it is not recommended at all.

By sending an error response back, you can instruct the developers, and therefore the client applications, to retry the request depending on the quota configurations and limitations on the backend. This is the more natural API approach to this problem.