API Development using API Tools and Technologies

Hi guys, in most cases I often see APIs are developed using various technologies like Java, .Net, Nodejs etc., and then for managing(security, traffic, transformation,...) the API an API Management tool is used.

We can also develop APIs through API Management tools(Apigee, Mulesoft, Layer7, ....) which support various technologies.

Apigee supports Java, Javascript, Nodjes, Python with some restrictions in Java & Nodejs modules. IMO these are more than enough to develop APIs using the API tool itself.

What are the pro & cons of developing entire APIs in API tools?

Are there any real-time examples?

Solved Solved
0 1 214
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Barahalikar Siddharth

I think the API management layer should be kept as thin as possible, as it is on the edge in an enterprise architecture. With the current capabilities the API management layer may be used to create APIs, but is not advisable from maintainability perspective. APIs should be treated as products and should business logic should ideally be kept out of the management layer. The management tool should just act as a facade and add on additional functionalities like authentication, traffic management, analytics etc.

May be simple transformations or orchestrations can be done on the management layer but definitely not full blown APIs.

The management layer may be technically capable, but has to be used wisely.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi @Barahalikar Siddharth

I think the API management layer should be kept as thin as possible, as it is on the edge in an enterprise architecture. With the current capabilities the API management layer may be used to create APIs, but is not advisable from maintainability perspective. APIs should be treated as products and should business logic should ideally be kept out of the management layer. The management tool should just act as a facade and add on additional functionalities like authentication, traffic management, analytics etc.

May be simple transformations or orchestrations can be done on the management layer but definitely not full blown APIs.

The management layer may be technically capable, but has to be used wisely.