Can i host my rest api on apigee platform or it is only for monitoring?

Not applicable

I have api logic developed in java jar file and now I want to expose this jar file to public as rest api in beta version first and if works later on monetize that.

Does apigee support API hosting/deployment as well ? or Do I need to host my rest api somewhere like AWS and then use apigee as proxy and management service only? Please suggest.

is there any guide for doing this, thanks!

Solved Solved
1 5 2,145
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Dear @deka ,

You can use Apigee Platform as rest api host platform using Java callout policy. But Unfortunately, As per documentation here Java Callouts are available only in Apigee Edge. They are not available in Apigee Developer free version.

Apigee Platform is more than just monitoring, It allows you to add your business logic, caching, security etc on top of API Proxies.

Apigee platform developer version supports node.js as Target Backend where you can develop your API and host it on Apigee Platfrom.

Cheers,

Anil Sagar

View solution in original post

Dear @deka ,

Welcome to Apigee community.

• There is no restriction on npm modules you can use. You need to bundle all modules before you upload to the API Proxy. You cannot just specify dependency on package.json files. Make sure you have all modules in your bundle.
  • I will let @sudheendra1 comment on pricing & info etc.
  • Yes, You can host your API on AWS and create API Proxy on Apigee Platform that connects to your back end. It should be straight forward and specify your API Backend End point.
  • Our docs will help you get started.

Cheers,

Anil Sagar

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Dear @deka ,

You can use Apigee Platform as rest api host platform using Java callout policy. But Unfortunately, As per documentation here Java Callouts are available only in Apigee Edge. They are not available in Apigee Developer free version.

Apigee Platform is more than just monitoring, It allows you to add your business logic, caching, security etc on top of API Proxies.

Apigee platform developer version supports node.js as Target Backend where you can develop your API and host it on Apigee Platfrom.

Cheers,

Anil Sagar

@asagar Thanks a lot for quick response! that was super fast!

I have follow up questions -

1. Can I host nodejs rest server using npm modules like (restify, java,loopback)?

2. Can provide me list of supported npm modules it will be great.

3. Where can I get hosting pricing information, can you send me list price in my email for Edge.

4. Can I host api on AWS and still use apigee as proxy? any guide for how to connect aws api with apigee?

Thanks in advance!

Dear @deka ,

Welcome to Apigee community.

• There is no restriction on npm modules you can use. You need to bundle all modules before you upload to the API Proxy. You cannot just specify dependency on package.json files. Make sure you have all modules in your bundle.
  • I will let @sudheendra1 comment on pricing & info etc.
  • Yes, You can host your API on AWS and create API Proxy on Apigee Platform that connects to your back end. It should be straight forward and specify your API Backend End point.
  • Our docs will help you get started.

Cheers,

Anil Sagar

@deka , Find documentation related to Node.JS on Apigee Edge here. We have open source API Platform too called Apigee 127 if you are interested.

Not applicable

@deka

Apigee is a full fledged Node container. You can create a REST API using one of the node modules like Express and host your node app on Apigee.

In addition to that, API BaaS can be used to create your own data services. API BaaS automatically creates an API off the data stored in it.

If node is not your preferred choice of development, you should host your service in an app server or a hosting provider.

Irrespective of whether you host the API using Node, API BaaS, or some other application server/ESB/middleware you will use Apigee platform as your system of engagement to do the following:

1. Secure, scale, transform, customize and manage your APIs
  2. Create Micro services or app specific APIs
  3. Take care of developer on-boarding
  4. Monitor, analyze the APIs, and the Mobile Apps you build on top of them