Maintaining multiple versions of a proxy

Not applicable

Hi,

I am figuring my way around Apigee and

In Apigee- Only one revision of an API proxy can be deployed in an environment at a given time.

How do you then maintain a previous revisions of an API proxy in an environment, say production, until it is deprecated ? Do I have to create a copy of the soon-to-be-deprecated proxy/project and let it keep the old version of base URL while the latest version get an incremented version number in the base URL? Is there a smarter/easier way of keeping old versions alive in Apigee until I choose to deprecate it?

Thanks

Rajoy

Solved Solved
0 3 1,942
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Community Member
Not applicable

HI @Rajoy one of the best practices is to have a version number as part of the base path in your proxy. So for example a good practice would be to have the base path be /v1/catalog for a "Catalog" API proxy. Essentially the base path along with the org/env/virtual host name becomes a client contract for them to access the API.

As you work on adding new features (save different revisions) and are ready to create version 2 of your API, you can create a clone of the API proxy, save it with /v2/catalog base path & deploy them into the relevant environment.

Check this out for some best practices on API versioning.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Former Community Member
Not applicable

HI @Rajoy one of the best practices is to have a version number as part of the base path in your proxy. So for example a good practice would be to have the base path be /v1/catalog for a "Catalog" API proxy. Essentially the base path along with the org/env/virtual host name becomes a client contract for them to access the API.

As you work on adding new features (save different revisions) and are ready to create version 2 of your API, you can create a clone of the API proxy, save it with /v2/catalog base path & deploy them into the relevant environment.

Check this out for some best practices on API versioning.

Not applicable

Rajoy , To add to what @Prithpal Bhogill said , api versions and the apiproxy revisions are completely different .

You can still use the same apiproxy revision to support 2 versions of the same API .(two different end points in the same proxy can have 2 versions of the same API ) or you can have a complete new apiproxy .

Not applicable

Thanks Prithpal. It is clear!