Backups and Best Practice for Private Cloud Deployments

I am looking at what we should be backing up and how often

A lot of Edge does not have new data so backing it up on a nightly basis is a waste of resource, for example Routers, Message Processor, Edge UI do not look like that need to be backed up on a nightly basis, whereas Postgresql, Cassandra, OpenLDAP would benefit from being backed up on a regular basis

Do any of you have a backup schdule you could share or any best practices i could look to?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

0 3 316
3 REPLIES 3

Not applicable

Michael,

The frequency and scope of the backups will be driven by your company IT operational requirements and policies.

Due to the distributed highly-available nature of Edge data stores and active data replication, backups will have a very narrow set of recovery scenario when they are required.

For the purpose of DR recovery (all nodes or many nodes lost), having backups of all components with the same configuration state is ideal. So the question to answer is not about schedule but about DR.

How often do you want to have a "consistent configuration state" as recovery point for DR?

The answer to the question above give you the frequency.

Thanks Maudrit, so going with your view on it

If i backup PostgresSQL as often as needed so that we maintain a regular backup of Analytics

We could then do a full backup of all components anytime there is a config change? this shuold keep it up to date as much as possible, would you agree?

Yes, agree.