Access Token Expiry time Max limit

Hi,

Is there a max limit to set for Access token expiry in "GenerateAccessToken" policy, for client credential grant type?

Say, I need to set my access token life to 24 hours, can i do that?

I tried adding below:

<ExpiresIn>86400000</ExpiresIn>

But it didn't work. The token i received had below value:

"expires_in": "86399",

What gives?

Thanks,

Kumud

Solved Solved
1 2 3,175
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think it did work.

The way Apigee returns the values might be confusing. For sure it was confusing for me when I first saw it.

The confusing part is the input - the ExpiresIn value - must be specified in milliseconds.

The output - the "expires_in" property on the response payload - is specified in seconds.

And there is a fudge factor we include, so 86399 is .... a "floor".

The number of seconds in 24 hours, is 86400; Apigee sends back 86399 for safety. In case the app does pro-active token refresh.

To answer the question you posed in the title : is there a max limit?

I don't know. But if there is a limit, it is much higher than 24 hours, which means you cannot possibly be running into that limit, if you are setting a 24-hour lifetime on your tokens.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I think it did work.

The way Apigee returns the values might be confusing. For sure it was confusing for me when I first saw it.

The confusing part is the input - the ExpiresIn value - must be specified in milliseconds.

The output - the "expires_in" property on the response payload - is specified in seconds.

And there is a fudge factor we include, so 86399 is .... a "floor".

The number of seconds in 24 hours, is 86400; Apigee sends back 86399 for safety. In case the app does pro-active token refresh.

To answer the question you posed in the title : is there a max limit?

I don't know. But if there is a limit, it is much higher than 24 hours, which means you cannot possibly be running into that limit, if you are setting a 24-hour lifetime on your tokens.

Thanks Dino!

Yes i realized it later that response is in seconds 🙂