Apigee Edge best practices for paid APIs

Hello,

We are a startup company, and our business is based 100% on APIs. We are very interested in Apigee.

We have different subscriptions plans to our APIs, each plan has its own quota (and price). We want to automate the subscription process.

Since we are starting, it is not for our best to invest in the Edge Enterprise offer. So we will use an external system (chargebee) for billing and subscriptions management.

Our need is simple:

• The customer subscribe to one of our plans (prepaid payment)
  • The customer receives credentials to connect to the API (Client Id and secret)
  • The customer need also an access to API documentation
  • We need to manage the Quota

Sample Plans

Plan 1 : 4000 request per month, 60 request per minute,....

Plan 2 : 50000 request per month, 250 request per minute,....

My first approach (didn’t work):

I created a product for each of our plans and set quota information as custom attributes in the products. The problem is that the customer (developer ) can subscribe to any product. I didn’t find a way to limit a developer only to the products he paid for. And I don’t want to have manual approval.

My second approach:

This time I created only one product and attached quota information to the developer. When a customer subscribes I receive a notification from chargebee via webhooks. I create a developer (via Edge API) and attach quota information to him. I also attach a unique Id to him that I send via Http headers to our system for authentication. This approach seems working. I need just to make sure that a unique email address is attached with our subscription to create a developer account.

Impression:

It appears that Apigee edge was designed for scenarios where the developer have access to any product he chooses, and get billed for the usage. Either prepaid or postpaid.

Our need is that the developer pay to get access to a product.

My questions:

Question 1: Am I doing it right? Do you have a better approach?

Question 2: Since the authentication is now done by apigee edge, from your experience what is the best approach to secure my backend and limit the access to only apigee edge (my tenant)?

Thank you.

1 5 674
5 REPLIES 5

Regarding question 2: The most effective way to secure your back-end is to use 2-way SSL to verify the connection from Apigee Edge to your backend, and enforce that only Edge is allowed to access your backend.

http://docs.apigee.com/api-services/content/configuring-ssl-edge-backend-service

@Hichem Kedjour , Welcome to Apigee Community !

Great to know your startup is API First & Glad to hear about your business is 100% based on APIs.

Totally agree, Not necessarily you need Enterprise Plan, You can use SMB / Startup with Developer Portal which will cost few hundreds of dollars. Anyway, Let's jump into technical stuff keeping aside pricing plans & dollars.

In above implementation, I see a critical piece, which is Developer Portal. Looks like you might need Drupal based Apigee Developer Portal which offers flexibility to control who can see which products, roles based access, user management & many more instead of light weight portal that comes in Edge UI. You might need to contact Sales here to request Drupal based developer portal.

Let me tell you how Apigee can solve your business use cases,

The customer subscribe to one of our plans (prepaid payment)

We do have Monetization Add-On Product for Apigee Edge which offers plans, billing, packages, reports etc. Since, You are getting started i don't suggest this add-on which will cost more than what you can afford at this point of time. You can still achieve what you want to using API Products & Developer Portal. Here is how it works,

• Customer self registers in Developer Portal.
  • Portal Administrator will approve the account after review & assign a role.
  • Based on role, Customer will see list of API Products to which he can subscribe.

The customer receives credentials to connect to the API (Client Id and secret)

• Either you create an App on behalf of customer with API Products (API Plans) using his Email Address or Provide Developer Portal App Creation access to customer where he can pick the list of API products (API Plans) controlled based on above role restrictions.
  • Customer sees the list of Apps that he got assigned / created in Developer Portal & gets the client id & secret.

The customer need also an access to API documentation

• You will publish interactive API Documentation to API Portal using Smartdocs in Apigee Developer Portal. See example here & here.
  • You can fully control using RBAC who sees which API documentation in Developer Portal based on Roles & Permissions.

We need to manage the Quota

• Yes, That's one of the most basic & widely used feature in Apigee Edge. You can do seamlessly & Apigee offers all the flexibility to that. More details below.

How i will design this in Apigee :

• I will create an API Product for my API plans. You can also use Apigee Monetization which offers API Packages, Rate Limits , PrePaid , Post Paid plans but it's beyond your budget at this point of time. You can still achieve same using API Products & Developer Portal.

The problem is that the customer (developer ) can subscribe to any product. I didn’t find a way to limit a developer only to the products he paid for. And I don’t want to have manual approval.

This is not true. Using Apigee Developer Portal based on Drupal you can restrict API Products to customers . You can control which developer will see which API Product (API Plan) based on roles & permissions.

Your second approach :

It's kind of a hack you did. We won't recommend it. I will suggest using multiple API Products & API Products restriction, Quota based on API Product attributes, API Products access controlled by Developer Portal.

Since the authentication is now done by apigee edge, from your experience what is the best approach to secure my backend and limit the access to only apigee edge (my tenant)?

That'a a great question. We call it last mile security. We suggest two-way ssl. But, It's only available for paid accounts. You can also do simple last mile security using Basic Auth / OAuth / API Key to secure calls between Apigee & Backend.

Just FYI, Apigee Edge Startup plans costs 300$ + Drupal based Apigee Developer Portal 100$ / month. More details here.

Keep us posted if any. Hope it helps.

PS: @jwyatt FYI, Is there any way we can give trial access to Apigee Drupal based developer portal for prospect to play with ?

Thank you Anil for all the details.

My guess is that Drupal based portal is just another UI layer, if something can be done with it, we can automated via Edge APIs.

I will run more tests to see if I can of the work without hacking. What I didn't explore also is using scopes in oAuth authentication.

Thanks again.

I'll keep you updates once I have the full solution.

Glad it's helpful. Regarding,

My guess is that Drupal based portal is just another UI layer, if something can be done with it, we can automated via Edge APIs.

Drupal based portal is more than UI layer. It's built on famous open source CMS Drupal which provides content / developer management features out of the box as well ask quick custom workflows integration. For example, Let's say i would like to enable Google Analytics on Developer Portal, You can do same with a click by installing a contributed module / plugin. Drupal CMS has 30,000 contributed modules which will help you quickly add features to Developer Portal. It provides robust RBAC / User Management along with Apigee Edge features out of the box.

Yes, You can automate via Edge APIs & build your own portal. But, Remember adding a new feature / maintaining the custom code will be more difficult than using a portal which offers out of the box solutions. Don't reinvent the wheel. Try to build on top of it.

Hope it helps.

Not applicable

For on your questions on securing communication between Apigee Edge and Backend system, there is an interesting thread on community that you may wanna check out.

https://community.apigee.com/questions/32092/how-to-secure-communication-between-apigee-edge-pr-1.ht...