Is Apigee Proxy itself an API? I'm new to Apigee. How to make Apigee calls to my application? Do I need to create a seperate API?

Not applicable

Solved Solved
1 3 250
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Abhinaya Mohan , Welcome to Apigee Community.

Regarding your queries,

Is Apigee Proxy itself an API?

Yes, Apigee Proxy is an API that will be exposed to client. Client like mobile app talks to Apigee Edge API, Apigee Edge API in turn calls the backend API. Apigee Edge API Proxy sits in between backend API & your client. See 4MV4D Video here that explains API Proxy concept.

How to make Apigee calls to my application? Do I need to create a seperate API?

Yes, You need an API / web service that Apigee can talk to. You might ask a question why do i need Apigee if i have an API built in my application. Remember, API Management from scratch is not an easy one. If you would like to Secure, Manage, Scale, Analyze, Build APIs, You need Apigee Edge. You will make your backend APIs accessible only by Apigee using last mile security like 2 way ssl & Expose secured APIs using oAuth like features in Apigee Edge to the clients.

Also, You can build APIs from scratch without a backend API using Node.JS containers & create mock APIs using policies like Assign Message policy. Answer is yes & no 🙂

Hope it helps, Keep us posted if any. You can get started using docs or quick 4MV4D videos here.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Abhinaya Mohan , Welcome to Apigee Community.

Regarding your queries,

Is Apigee Proxy itself an API?

Yes, Apigee Proxy is an API that will be exposed to client. Client like mobile app talks to Apigee Edge API, Apigee Edge API in turn calls the backend API. Apigee Edge API Proxy sits in between backend API & your client. See 4MV4D Video here that explains API Proxy concept.

How to make Apigee calls to my application? Do I need to create a seperate API?

Yes, You need an API / web service that Apigee can talk to. You might ask a question why do i need Apigee if i have an API built in my application. Remember, API Management from scratch is not an easy one. If you would like to Secure, Manage, Scale, Analyze, Build APIs, You need Apigee Edge. You will make your backend APIs accessible only by Apigee using last mile security like 2 way ssl & Expose secured APIs using oAuth like features in Apigee Edge to the clients.

Also, You can build APIs from scratch without a backend API using Node.JS containers & create mock APIs using policies like Assign Message policy. Answer is yes & no 🙂

Hope it helps, Keep us posted if any. You can get started using docs or quick 4MV4D videos here.

Thank you

@Abhinaya Mohan

Glad it's helpful. You can register here & get started. Keep us posted moving forward if any in the community.