Proxying API's in China with Apigee

Not applicable

Given the firewall restrictions in China. Are there any set of bet practices to follow in order to proxy API's hosted in China?

@Bala

1 2 711
2 REPLIES 2

Please clarify - Are you referring to proxying from Apigee Cloud to a backend in China, or is there a private/on-premise installation in this solution?

I'm not sure what a list of best practices for this would look like, but I'd consider the following...

• Reduce the number of hops crossing the firewall, whether it's coming in or going out (the obvious one)
  • Invest some time in reviewing the DNS setup (timeouts, TTLs, local NS?, etc.)
  • Look to leverage a caching strategy where possible/appropriate
  • Review your TCP and HTTP timeouts at each layer
  • If you don't require the full catalogue of Apigee Edge policies and if your API clients are in China, consider the use of Edge Microgateway

I highly recommend performing some thorough network tests between real locations to understand latencies, round-trip times (RTT), TTFB and observe the consistency (or lack of) over a period of time. You should notice drops, degradation and/or loss of network routes if you leave the test running for several weeks.