Why are custom reports limited to a 2 week period in the UI?

Not applicable

I created a simple custom report to show traffic by API proxy and App.

However, when I run it in the UI and use custom to set the date range, the UI is limiting the period to 2 weeks.

How can I generate a custom report that I can run for the entire year to date?

I can get the URL and change the date range in an API call and see the results.

Thanks, Kurt

Solved Solved
1 8 605
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not applicable

Custom reports are generated from the raw transaction data. So, the query time range is limited to 2 weeks so the results can be returned within a reasonable time accounting for a wide range of traffic volumes. So, for now, you'll need to run the query for successive 2 week windows over the extended date range. In the future, we're looking into an offline mechanism for submitting queries that can be scheduled and returned at a future time.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Good question, Kurt; I was wondering this myself !

Not applicable

Probably because you're trying to look at hourly data. Change to daily or weekly stats and it will expand the date range.

Thanks but I already tried that and it doesn't make a difference. Aggregation Interval is daily.

Not applicable

Custom reports are generated from the raw transaction data. So, the query time range is limited to 2 weeks so the results can be returned within a reasonable time accounting for a wide range of traffic volumes. So, for now, you'll need to run the query for successive 2 week windows over the extended date range. In the future, we're looking into an offline mechanism for submitting queries that can be scheduled and returned at a future time.

Hmmm, well that explains it, but it certainly limits the usefulness of custom reports, especially if I'm looking for patterns in my API usage over time, perhaps with custom aggregations.

It appears that there are two solutions to this:

1. Provide a switch for real time or historical data.

2. Warn the user in the UI that reports with ranges may take a long time to complete.

I can change the URL that is used for the 2 week period and extend it for 5 months and the data is returned just as fast, granted this is a simple Traffic by API proxy and App report.

Since we are an on-premise shop, maybe I'll go poking around in the UI code :).

Thanks,

Kurt

Thanks Kurt. Good usability suggestions.

> maybe I'll go poking around in the UI code

@Kurt Kanaskie, I'd suggest you contact the Apigee support desk to get tips on how you might be able to change that 2-week interval.

@Kurt Kanaskie, good suggestions. We find that the UI times out for larger date volumes - of course this varies by the amount of data in an org. The compromise for now is 2 weeks ranges in the UI.