Newbie: How to create a get statement

Not applicable

How do I architect the following:

Look up existing clients within Dynamics as well potentially create new leads for new bookings for new clients. Additionally, all appointment information needs to be copied into Dynamics to trigger other workflows and for BI and reporting.

In the simplest of terms, I just need some statements of what this would look like

0 5 495
5 REPLIES 5

(In my most clippy voice)

4540-clippy.jpg

It sounds like you're trying to create an API Proxy.

You wrote that your goals are:

Look up existing clients within Dynamics as well potentially create new leads for new bookings for new clients.

I guess you are referring to Microsoft Dynamics CRM? Microsoft Dynamics CRM has a RESTful API, documented here.

What Apigee Edge can offer is an API Proxy, which is a thing apps can invoke in place of the Dynamics API (or any other API). Basically a client calls Apigee Edge, and Apigee Edge calls the backend, in this case Microsoft Dynamics. Why would you want something in place of the existing API? Well, you might want a proxy to do one of the following:

• collect and visualize analytics on who is calling the API and when
  • mediate security. For example, have the caller pass one kind of security credential, and map that to a different kind of security credential required by the "backend" API.
  • rate limiting, based on user, or client, or time-of-day, or query, etc.
  • data payload transformation. For example the API proxy could append "default" values in each inbound data payload.
  • Routing. A client request might get routed to a different Dynamics "organization" based on the identity of the caller.
  • and more

So, do you need any of THAT?

You can get all of that, without "creating a GET statement". In fact the client app is the thing that creates the GET request, whether Apigee Edge is involved in the exchange or not. Apigee Edge would just be passing the GET request through to the Dynamics backend. There's nothing special you need to do to Apigee Edge to make it pass through such requests.

If all you really want to do is build an app that invokes the Dynamics API, and you don't think you need the proxying capability of APigee Edge, then you may be asking your question in the wrong forum. If you're building a .NET app for Windows and it will directly query Dynamics, then.... maybe ask your question on the Microsoft Dynamics community forum.

Hey @Dino, thanks a lot for responding to my question. I'm a complete newbie but I want to learn.

Here's what's really going on. I had this interview with a company for the role of a technical solutions consultant. I'm a non-technical "solutions consultant" that has been in the field for 3 years. However, since the products I've sold have been used by sales and marketers the products did require me to be technical. Basically I was demoing sales and marketing solutions.

I'm currently unemployed and am struggling finding a job that contain this title or also pre-sales engineer. About 95% of them require you to not only demo the solution/product but also to be able to speak technically. Mainly in areas of cloud computing, web applications, web services but then also things like security, platforms (i.e. Linux, Windows, etc.), relational or non-relational databases, you get the idea.

There's one company that is willing to gamble on me because of my interest and plans to learn these technologies, and because I can sell too. I've been given an exercise with 3 different scenarios that look like this:

Check out our APIs at http://apidocs.companyname.com/ and describe how you would architect a solution to integrate our platform with:

1. Microsoft dynamics 2016

The client is an existing Dynamics customer. They are the master record for all client data. They need BookingBug to look up existing clients within Dynamics as well potentially create new leads for new bookings for new clients. Additionally, all appointment information needs to be copied into Dynamics to trigger other workflows and for BI and reporting.

2. An Enterprise POS system of your choice

The staff need to be able to add event booking as part of the POS checkout from their existing POS supplier. They need the POS platform to show availability, and take bookings as part of combined POS checkout.

3. An Admin single sign-on method

The staff are already using a web tool to manage a number of internal systems and they all also log in via Windows. They already have an internal Active Directory, and would like to add our solution without having to add another login password process. The solution will need to account for 3 different user roles in the BB platform; Customer, Admin, and Owner.

Some additional guidance:

The exercise is intended to expose how you’d approach the integration conversations with our clients. We certainly don’t expect you to design the full solution! There are no fixed scoring criteria, as we’re open-minded to what approach you take, so long as it makes sense, and would progress the project forward in a meaningful way.

You can use https://dev.companyname.com and https://apidocs.companyname.com while you formulate your response. Ideally, we’d like to see something along the lines of:

• Recommended approach to achieve the objective is this.
  • These components will need to be defined.
  • Those details are industry standard / assumed this.
  • This process achieves this result.
  • Dependencies and caveats of the solution
  • Next steps to implementation

We would recommend using a diagram methodology you’re comfortable with to visualise your solution, and annotations or some brief verbatim to explain. You should consider your audience to be senior client-side technical stakeholders. Quality over quantity, we don’t need War and Peace. Think concise, explanatory, and actionable.

If you find yourself with more than one potential solution, and don’t have the data to make an informed decision, outline the pros and cons, and what factors would sway you one way or the other.

As I read this again it's clear that I am way over my head. I think I'll just let this one go and get the additional training I need or focus on the other 5% of jobs out there.

Thanks for reading some of this @dino I know it must've been pleasurable 🙂 LOL

Jakub

Well good luck finding a job, Jakub! The market is generally pretty good right now, so I'd bet you'll find something good soon.

And if you still aspire to a more technical role, you can do self-guided training in the evenings, while you work the semi-technical job. There has never been a better time to learn technology; so many resources out there.

Very Informative! To know more on power bi online training course

Not applicable

Check out best Food delivery nearby app.