web socket solution

banto_78
Participant III

Hi,

does Edge in the Cloud support WebSocket?

Also, how can it be used as proxy for a backend WebSocket server? I would like to use it as authentication and authorization proxy only.

thanks.

0 8 1,580
8 REPLIES 8

thanks for your message. I already read that link but since i could not find the "right" answer i have also posted here. If i follow that answer though: it means that WS server should invoke Edge - and not viceversa?

thanks lot.

Apigee does not support WebSockets so Apigee is only used for the security aspects. These are through the management APIs and not through proxies. So you would use Apigee for keys/secrets and tokens alone.

I am not sure but i think you are contraddicting a bit. You first refer to that link then you say "These are through the management APIs and not through proxies". But that link states that a solution was "..So I just expose an API proxy with the product I want to authorize, that verifies the user's key. If the key is verified, 200..". So security is through API Management or Proxy API? thanks in advance.

A separate API just for security means that the real WS API is not protected and it is left to the app to validate the key/token in advance.

Is it possible to validate key/token in the WS API by calling management APIs directly. So the key/token validation is enforced in WS API itself ?

ok thanks. i assume your last is a sentence and not a question.

I think thats a good way to approach the issue. No open questions from me.

Pardon me asking this again, do we intend to support websockets in near future? There is a use case where customer is looking at utilizing APIs for delivering near real time information. Any work arounds for something like this in the meanwhile?