Are API specs saved or backed up ?

Not applicable

Sometimes an API spec gets accidentally deleted, which happened to me once. I couldn't find anywhere on Edge Pro where the specs are backed up. And the Edge Audit logs also didn't show anything (to find out when and who was modifying the specs).

So ... are these specs saved anywhere? or do I have to copy/paste them locally and then commit them into my own git repo?

P.S. I'm waiting for management APIs for specs to be released so I can automate pulling them out of apigee and saving them in git via a jenkins job.

Solved Solved
1 3 210
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Today deletion is permanent, which is why a confirmation dialog presents its dire warning.

We have explored designs for a trash that would soft-delete and allow recovering a file within 30 days before being permanently deleted. Rather than implement the complicated case, we opted for the simpler case with the assumption that we would prioritize the latter based somewhat on customer demand. I believe yours is the first request!

So for now, the only mechanism is copy/paste and double check before you delete anything.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Great Qs! tagging @Marsh Gardiner to see if we can get this answered.

Today deletion is permanent, which is why a confirmation dialog presents its dire warning.

We have explored designs for a trash that would soft-delete and allow recovering a file within 30 days before being permanently deleted. Rather than implement the complicated case, we opted for the simpler case with the assumption that we would prioritize the latter based somewhat on customer demand. I believe yours is the first request!

So for now, the only mechanism is copy/paste and double check before you delete anything.

Understand about deletion, I actually expected the API specs to be similar to how we build API proxies where revisions would be saved. Thing is the editor is not 100% reliable, clicking "save" will not always save which causes us to copy/paste our swagger, duplicate the spec online, edit the duplicated one and then delete the one that wouldn't save. I understand that the whole API specs is still beta and you know the experience we're getting as developers is that it's easier to just use our own swagger editor, commit to our own git repo and have our own jenkins pipeline to save it to apigee (once the management apis are released to public). So for the time being having some sort of tracking of changes to the specs (via audit logs maybe) or saving revisions would be nice. Appreciate the effort you guys are doing on apigee!