Increasing the limit of Trace messages in Edge on premises

choonghyun
Participant I

I am using Apigee Edge On-premises, version 16.09

I want more request to see on the edge-ui by using Trace tool.

so what I have done is, I change the configuration.

> vi /opt/apigee/customer/application/ui.properties
conf_apigee-base_apigee.trace.transactionlimit="100"

> /opt/apigee/apigee-service/bin/apigee-service edge-ui restart

I see it is applied but I do not see any changes.

I only get 20 request on the edge-ui Trace tool.

anyone tried to change the number of Trace tool request?

0 5 1,598
5 REPLIES 5

Hmmm, I'm not certain here, as I haven't made this change myself. But I think you're doing it wrong!

The UI is not enforcing the limit that is defined by conf_apigee-base_apigee.trace.transactionlimit . The UI is simply the *client* that retrieves trace information from the message processors (via the management server). I think you need to apply that change to the MP machine, and restart THAT. And possibly also the Management server. Can you try?

Yeah, I agree with you that UI is a 'Client' but when you grep the trace configuration, it only appears in UI conf.

I already tried on MP and MS but still the same.

That is why I only tried on the ui.properties.

I guess this is not working. I will give up for now.

Apigee Docs also said keep the number of trace as low as possible. (because too much resource is using to gather information.)

This image is for the config that I found.

4505-grep.png

A change to the default trace transaction limit setting could be detrimental to your application performance. That is why it is harder to do, but not impossible. As it is potentially dangerous, it is hidden well away from kids. To change the value also assumes that you know what you’re doing.

As per documentation, a default value for MP is 10 requests. Therefore, for 2 message processors usually provisioned per org, you expect to see 20 items in the UI.

After you have changed the Edge UI setting by editing ui.properties,

opt/apigee/customer/application/ui.properties

conf_apigee-base_apigee.trace.transactionlimit="100"

your client application is ready to display more transactions, but your gateway needs to be re-configured to capture them.

If you have 4 MPs, a value of 25 would generate 100 transactions.

You need to change a deployment-descriptor.xml file maxNumberOfContexs in the META-INF directory of the debug-1.0.0.jar file

The jar:

/opt/apigee/edge-gateway/lib/infra/services/debug-1.0.0.jar

contains file:

META-INF/deployment-descriptor.xml

that has a line:

<property name="maxNumberOfContexts" value="10"/>

The value controls a number of trace transactions. A default value is 10. Change to a value that is required.

Restart Edge.

Now, you can switch the tracing on, send requests and fetch the trace using debugsessions API (http://docs.apigee.com/api/debug-sessions) or, with its counterpart setting in ui.properties, you can see them in UI.

Not applicable

Please remember that even the number of trace calls captured can be changed, it is not an ideal scenario to capture a large number of them.

Try to keep the number low, if possible, and instead leverage the filers functionality provided by the tool.

See filter on the top left of the screenshot above.

ealdwairi
Participant I

Hello,

Any luck with increasing transactions limit? I totally understand the impact on performance, but such change is needed when troubleshooting an issue... then will revert back. so there was situations when we need to change it..

did anyone got any luck with increase the value more than 20?