Management API from service callout

Can we call Edge Management API from a Service Callout policy using HTTP target connection.

Is it advisable?

0 2 352
2 REPLIES 2

@Chaitanya Rathi , Interested to know the use case, More details will certainly help.

Yes, You can make a call. Advisable or not, Depends on use case & which management API you are trying to access. For example, Calling a management API like undeploy same proxy / delete proxy will have serious consequences. Again, It depends on your use case.

Based on my previous experience, If you have a paid org, I would suggest you to have a discussion with Apigee Support on consequences before you implement same. If you are on trial org, I would certainly recommend you to discuss your use case here before you implement same.

Hope it helps. Keep us posted.

akoo
Participant V

@Chaitanya Rathi, yes you have the ability to do that.

Generally, we do not advise to do this. There are 2 reasons:

1) Now your Management Server is part of your critical run-time infrastructure. By default, only Routers and Message Processors are required for run-time (you can include Cassandra nodes if you have key and/or access token validation). But now you are adding the Management Server to the list of critical infrastructure.

2) This means you not only need redundancy on the Management Servers, but you may also have scalability issues as run-time traffic increases; how will your Management Servers handle the increased Service Callouts?

Better to not include MS API calls as part of your run-time. If you see a feature that is critical for run-time, let's discuss further.