Is there any way to read encrypted KVM values using management API?

Not applicable

I need to know what the current values are in an encrypted KVM map. Through UI or management API all I can see is ******* for each value. I started going down the road of creating a test proxy to trace through and pull them out, but was wondering if there was an easier/better way to do this.

2 9 3,423
9 REPLIES 9

Nope.

You can check that a value exists.

There is no way to read the value via the Management API.

This is by design. (not a bug)

Just curious: why would you need to check the values? Normally the procedure is: provision the values via your CI/CD pipeline, via an automated script that inserts the secrets automatically. In other words the Edge KVM is not the system of record for these values. Instead there is a source-code control system that stores a JSON file that represents the KVM values you want to store.

And if there is ever any doubt that the values are not correct, just write them (provision them) again, via the automated script.

I'm trying to reverse engineer a place where the KVM is the system of record. I need to update values we have in there, and not knowing what they currently are makes it more complex. We'll definitely take this into account when we refactor.

Thanks for the quick response!

@dino Could you go into more detail about managing encrypted KVMs through a pipeline. Are you saying that you encrypt your KVM values, store them in source control, then create a script in the pipeline to decrypt those values and use https://github.com/apigee/apigee-config-maven-plugin to upload the values to Apigee?

Not applicable

Hi,

I have created one kvm through manageent UI. It works fine. Now I want to access this map through rest api. For some reason its not working though I have passed all credentials.

On the other hand, kvm created through rest api are working fine w.r.to creation/updation/retrieval but such kvm are not enlisted in Management UI.

Any help on this will be highly appreciated

Hi @prasad nikumbh,

Looks like there is ether a scope mismatch or the mapIdentifier is not mentioned in the policy you have used for the rest api.

For the kvm created through the policy, make sure you have mentioned the mapIdentifier and also that the scope is environment

Can you also share the policy and the KVM details so that we can check it further with more details.

Not applicable

4890-screen-shot-2017-05-19-at-60240-pm.png

4889-screen-shot-2017-05-19-at-60218-pm.png

this are created by me throgh management UI

Not applicable

4891-screen-shot-2017-05-19-at-60525-pm.png

This is what rest api is returning.. However 'manali vespa','testmap' and ''{Map Name}' were created by me through rest api.

I cant get KVM created by management UI

Also CustomReportsprasad2266#d9079f29-5acd-4d0d-b3ce-d20d8bcb3349" cannot understand what this magic value means

Can you share the policy used to retrive the kvm values created by the management UI

Also, can you share this as a separate question so that it can help others with similar problem set.
Thanks