best file structure set up of APIGEE on premise

Not applicable

Hi Guys,

Looking for hints on the best (recommended) partitioning of the file system

IT looks like all should be on 1 mounted file system.Am I wrong?

Cheers,

Giammaria

1 2 257
2 REPLIES 2

Hi Giammaria

There's nothing really unusual about Apigee Edge for filesystem usage, as compared to any other software product. There will be different directory trees:

• some that contain fixed binaries - the Apigee Edge software. Not a very large amount of data. On my install of 17.01 it is small. This data is completely static except during patch and upgrade operations.
  • some that contain custom configurations for your site. A very small amount of data, mostly static but changeable. Here you could set properties for the MPs, like default http client timeouts, or max size of Cassandra log files, and so on.
  • some directories that hold generated data. This can be large, and the data accumulates over time. Examples of this kind of data: Analytics data stored by Postgres, or the Cassandra data stores that contain tokens, proxies, and so on.
  • Some that contain log files (/var/log) . This can be large. It is constantly growing and in need of rotation and maintenance over time.

Most customer installations I have seen keep the log files in a separate filesystem from the distribution, and from the configuration. Some customers keep the data in a separate filesystem. There are some recommendations for sizing of storage, here, but that document does not mention partitioning.

Maybe @Maudrit or @Paul Mibus have some comment or hints.

Most installations are contained in a single volume/filesystem. There can be some marginal performance benefit to isolating certain files such as transaction logs and service log files, but it is much easier to scale out by adding additional hosts in most cases. In addition, the typical VM setup uses disks that live on a shared storage backend, so adding additional VM disks will not effectively increase performance.

I recommend ensuring that /opt or /opt/apigee is on a filesystem that is separate from the root filesystem, as this will ensure that the application doesn't accidentally fill up the root filesystem and crash the server.