How to show API Models on add app page on dev portal?

I want to add an attribute on the Add an App page that points to the API model using an auto complete widget (currently autocomplete is not included as a widget option). Once an API is selected I would then like to filter products by the selected API. We will potentially have a huge amount of Products and don't want the app developer to have to sift through Products list if they know which API they want to register for.

https://community.apigee.com/questions/20066/how-to-show-custom-attributes-on-add-app-page-for.html#...

1 13 794
13 REPLIES 13

@Dave , Interesting use case. Totally agree with you that if huge amount of Products are present in the app page, It will become to difficult to choose from the list. Mapping between Api Products & API Models will easy the developer to pick a product from the list.

Unfortunately it's not available out of the box. But, It can be achieved with a small custom module & Drupal expertise. Underlying Drupal functions exposed in Apigee Drupal modules will help you pull this data into Add App page. You can edit App form using hooks.

@Gitesh Koli , I remember a module in Dev Portal which allows you do this mapping between API products & API models. Do we still have this out of the box Apigee Portal ? I didn't find any in recent version.

@Anil Sagar, the latter feature is available out-of-the-box with Smartdocs. Just go to Configuration → SmartDocs and expand the "API Products/SmartDocs Settings" fieldset.

Got it, Thanks @Daniel Johnson . What happens when we do mapping ? I don't see any UI changes in the form or Smartdocs. Are we just storing the mapping in db ?

@Dave , Navigate to "admin/config/smartdocs" in Developer Portal as Admin to access mapping configuration.

4382-screen-shot-2017-02-27-at-94421-am.png

@Anil Sagar: When you associate an API Product with a Model, anyone who creates a new app against that API Product will see a new tab or link on their app detail page linking to the docs.

"This section creates a correlation between your products and SmartDocs internally."

So what happens when this association between the API Model and the API Product is made? I'm not seeing anything on the App Details page. How do we leverage that connection?

@Daniel Johnson Hey Daniel, I'm circling back to this issue. I'm attempting to add API's to the Add new App page. I tested out Mapping an API Product with a model on the smart docs config page. I'm not seeing anything on the App details page indicating that relationship. I must be missing a step.

smart-config-1.png

smart-config-2.png

smart-config-3.png

@Anil Sagar @Gitesh Koli @Daniel Johnson

I'm am going to start research/development on this issue. I would appreciate any information you could give me regarding the existing Add App page. Is there any documentation that goes along with that code? As a relatively new developer on the project I am feeling around in the dark. I'm not even sure where to begin to customize the Add App page to include an autocomplete widget as an input type.

Any help on customizing the Add App page would be greatly appreciated.

@Dave , You need little bit of Drupal module development expertise to get started. Unfortunately, It's not a straight forward configuration in the UI. If you have in house Drupal expertise, You can engage them to get it done. If not, I would suggest to engage Apigee Professional Services Team / Partner services to get it done.

To alter forms take a look at hooks,

I believe you would like to show API Products in an auto complete, Correct me if i am wrong. To add auto complete ,

Take a look at devconnect_developer_apps module in profiles/apigee/modules/custom/devconnect folder to understand how to retrieve API Products list in a module.

It's definitely doable & might require around 8 hours of Drupal module developer expertise. Hope it helps.

Thanks Anil. I'm good on the drupal end, I'm fuzzy on the Apigee end. I wasn't sure if there was any doco on DevConnect modules. I often find it difficult to connect a dev portal function to the apigee code behind it. I think documentation on the directory structure and custom development best practices would be helpful.

@Dave

Devconnect modules are simple & follows all the best practices of Drupal. They expose hooks that are documented in api.php files inside modules just like any other Drupal module.

If you have any specific question regarding how to access a particular data from Apigee Edge in Developer portal, Community can help you here.

Feel free to post new questions in community.

@Anil Sagar Hey Anil, could you reach out to me to discuss Apigee Professional Services Team / Partner services you mentioned above? We may be interested in pursuing this further for some custom development.

Thanks for the interest @Dave , We will reach out to you ASAP. We will keep you posted.

@Dave Just sent you an email so that we can sync up in regards to services.