Call dynamic endpoints in cache lookup policy when cached value is not found

Not applicable

Hi All, I have populated some value in cache, now i am trying to get that value in lookup policy with GET resource. I put the following response tag in the GET resource,

<Response>
    <Step>
         <Name>JavaScript-1</Name>
    </Step>
    <Step>
         <Name>Assign-Message-1</Name>
         <Condition>(itemFound == false)</Condition>
    </Step>
</Response>
<Condition>(proxy.pathsuffix MatchesPath "/{id}") and (request.verb = "GET")</Condition>

In above code, when the cache value is found i successfully call the java script policy JavaScript-1 and when the cache value is not found then call the assign message policy Assign-Message-1 to generate some error response.

Now i want to load some data from XYZ proxy endpoint instead of returning error message with Assign-Message-1 policy, in case when the cache value is not found, as above.

How can i achieve this ?

I have already tried another approach by calling the expected target endpoint corresponding to XYZ endpoint, in Route tag, as,

<RouteRule name="default">
    <Condition>(itemFound == false)</Condition>
    <TargetEndpoint>xyz-target</TargetEndpoint>
</RouteRule>

But it did not work.

Any help to this question would be appreciated.

0 2 419
2 REPLIES 2

The approach of using a condition on the RouteRule should work.

Maybe you have multiple RouteRules? These are evaluated in order. The first RouteRule that has a Condition that evaluates to true, or has no condition at all, will be the RouteRule selected. For example, if you have this sequence:

<RouteRule name='r1'>
  <TargetEndpoint>target1</TargetEndpoint>
</RouteRule> 
<RouteRule name='r2'>
  <TargetEndpoint>target2</TargetEndpoint>
  <Condition>itemFound = false</Condition>
</RouteRule> 

...then the second RouteRule (r2) will never be employed. The first will always run, regardless of the state of itemFound.

The second thing you need to look out for: where in the request & response flow is the itemFound context variable being set ? I see in your sample code that you are testing it in the Response flow. The response flow executes AFTER a RouteRule has been evaluated and executed. Maybe you are clear on this, but I thought I'd mention it.

Finally, I don't see any Cache Lookup policy at all. Maybe that is occurring in the preflow. With a little more context, we'd be clearer on what you've got configured. Right now there are a few open questions.

----

The other alternative, instead of RouteRules, is using a ServiceCallout. It's the same idea but the analytics will be different.

Thanks Dino for your reply. I further researched the case, now i just applied the Response Policy on this.