Apigee Edge : Management API for spec store ?

Apigee Edge new UI on cloud has spec store feature where org admins can upload OpenAPI spec to Apigee Edge. Is there any Management API available for same to access/create new spec on Apigee Edge ?

12 32 3,298
32 REPLIES 32

@Marsh Gardiner may want to answer here?

As an API company, we base most new features on APIs where appropriate, and the new Specs service is indeed built atop APIs.

However, because the Specs service is so new, we wanted to make sure the APIs suit the use cases we intended before documenting those APIs publicly (plus they do not support basic auth, so will require some additional docs and client registration steps). We're likely to publish those in the coming months, but if you need access sooner, you can get in touch.

Hi, I'm interested in this. I'd rather the developer write the swagger spec on their PC and commit it to git, then have jenkins (webhooked to git) automatically add/update the swagger spec on apigee and run a few more management apis for the proxy that this swagger spec is related to.

@Marsh Gardiner is it still possible to get in touch about these APIs? if not is there a release schedule for them?

I can't promise any dates, but your use case is exactly what we're looking to enable. I'll note you on a list of folks who might help validate when it gets closer, if that's ok.

Yeah that would be great, thank you.

Hi, I'm looking into this as well. It will be good to be able to pull the swagger file from the Edge editor using an API or push it to Edge. Also, looking at storing swagger file in our git repo.

Thanks for the feedback, Kenneth.

@marshg@google.com

We're having the exact same use case atm. I'd really appreciate being noted on further progress on the issue. Of course I'd try help validate as well.

Hi @marshg@google.com, I am looking to implement the exact same process as @Georges Haddad (using Jenkins to "deploy" new swagger specs to Apigee). Is this possible yet?

We are also interested in this. Are there any updates or has any progress been made? From the posting dates, it has been a while now.

@marshg@google.com , Any update regarding same ?

I have a client that is still very interested in hearing when this will be possible, any news?

APIs do exist but are in alpha and are expected to have breaking changes on the way to general availability. We've been focused more on some other areas recently, but hope to pick this back up in the second half of the year.

We're also waiting on this to include in our CI/CD pipeline... is there a roadmap/somewhat foreseeable when we could start using this (even beta)?

If you're a paid customer, reach out to your account rep to see about getting added to the alpha program if you need early access.

Seems like there is no knowledge about this in Apigee Support, contacting support I get the answer "there is nothing available" @marshg@google.com

Hi, We too have this use case and would be very interested in getting access to this capability

Hi,

Any chance that this feature made it into the 2H dev schedule for your team? Thanks!

Is there any ETA to enable management API to upload Open Specs to Apigee? This is a feature that is required to complete the CI/CD for Apigee platform.

We really need this feature @apigee

As mentioned above, if you are a paid customer who needs access and are willing to work with an alpha, you can reach out via your account rep to see about getting added. These APIs are in alpha status because we have planned changes that will break the API contract.

+1 for this feature.

Another +1

+1 for this feature

Why is the spec hooked in a way to Apigee that it requires extra client registration steps?

The spec is not handled directly within proxy (which only keeps the URL in the association.json), but the ID is handled completely different than all other resources. For a generic (reusable OAS over multiple proxies) approach, I would have expected that the spec is attached e.g. as a resource at organization level. However, the spec is completely bypassing all management API items...

Such implementation would have been much easier.

If the spec were kept within the proxy, which is what I think you're asking, then even non-contract changing fixes, such as updating a typo in a description, would require a re-deployment of the runtime. Then the spec artifact would need to be extracted from the bundle when the portal needed to publish the latest spec. Specs can also be used to inform other aspects of API management, such as classification of analytics by operation, generating automated tests, etc.

This is why we created a dedicated service for specs that refers to the proxy resource. This service was created in a time where new patterns for working with resources were being explored along with new direction for API styles, which helps explain the underlying reason for the variance. We plan to reconcile this over time.

No, what I meant was to refer to a resource file at organization level, instead of a custom ID pointing to somewhere which could not be accessed properly by the management API.

The idea would be to keep the association.json concept, but URL pointing to a resource file at organization level: https://apidocs.apigee.com/api/resource-files -> /organizations/{org_name}/resourcefiles/{resource_type}/{resource_name} instead of the strange ID like "/c3Rvc-ZG9j-127356/content", which is bypassing the the management API concept.

Then this organization resource could be easily updated without redeploying a proxy.

Hi All,

I see this post begins in Dec 2016 where its mentioned that, APIGEE team is working on it to built management APIs.

we are now in almost Dec 2020. its almost 4 years.

Could anyone please share latest new if you have? when this Specs Managment APIs will be available for CI/CD process?

@marshg@google.com

Thanks for help in advance.

We have been using this for a while via Maven, it is still stated that it is experimental, but we have not experienced any issues so far.

https://github.com/apigee/apigee-config-maven-plugin

Thanks a lot @Morten

will review and try to adopt it.

scase
Participant III

We are working on integrating our documentation within our portal and moving away from where were were. We are very much interested in using a set of management APIs for doing this. Is there any update? Is this still in alpha?