How to create conditional target end-point

Hello,

We have a requirement to consume multiple third party API(one for certain country) providing similar business functionality say travel booking.

But from our application we do not want to implement a point-to-point client for each of this API's.

So we want to create a API in APIGEE with a generic schema and have our consumer application to call the APIGEE proxy end point always and serve data by consuming market specific third party API.

1. Is it possible to design such API proxy using APIGEE? Pls give insight thought of how to?

2. Each of this 3rd Party API will have specify authentication like JWT, OAUTH, Basic. We want apigee proxy to handle this API specific security to target endpoint and always have a single authentication method for consumer application invoking proxy endpoint. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Santhosh

0 1 850
1 REPLY 1

anything is POSSIBLE.

Is it practical to build such a thing? Maybe.

I think you are saying you want a single API proxy that plugs into ANY backend API, and maps a single authentication method to whatever security the backend API uses.

Like a very general any-to-any adapter. That is something one can imagine building, but as far as I know it does not exist today.

Generally there is a custom API Proxy designed for the target backend API, and specifically for the authentication requirements of that backend API. IF the backend requires SAML, then you use a specific API proxy. If the backend requires JWT, then the API proxy must generate and cache JWT. And so on.

If you want to make all of that selectable and pluggable, well... it seems like a large engineering project. Not sure of the benefit. The approach I generally use: each API proxy is bespoke, depending on the requirements, but is simple to build and maintain.