Apigee java callout access denied ("java.util.PropertyPermission")

Not applicable

Hi

I am trying to do a Java callout from a API proxy and getting an exception

access denied ("java.util.PropertyPermission" "JSON_SMART_SIMPLE" "read")

I am trying to use the JWT validation from

https://github.com/apigee/iloveapis2015-jwt-jwe-jws/tree/master/jwt_signed

My previous experience with Java is that this is a JVM permission issue and is usually resolved with setting security policy in the JVM, is this the issue and if so any pointers on how to configure the security settings in the JVM?

Thanks

Anthony.

Solved Solved
0 5 1,079
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anthony, Yes -

You are correct that this is a JVM Permissions issue related to a security policy in the JVM.

And are you trying to use the Java callout from within a "trial" organization on the hosted version of Apigee Edge?

If so, the error you are observing is expected.

Apigee Edge trial organizations have always had the limitation that Java callouts are not supported. But Apigee was not strict about enforcing that restriction. You didn't see the Java callout in the UI for trial orgs, but you could still deploy API proxies that used Java callouts if you used the management APIs.

Sometime in the Autumn of 2016, Apigee began strictly enforcing the limitation in new trial organizations. Also, trial organizations will now be time-limited.

There is no way for you, as a user of the Apigee-managed Edge service, to modify this.

You can sign up for an evaluation, which will get you an unrestricted Edge organization.

To do that you need to contact a salesrep!

EDIT: We are reviewing the decision to restrict Java callouts from running on the trial organizations. That restriction may be removed. More updates as we get them. But for now (2016 Dec 13), it's still in place.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Anthony, Yes -

You are correct that this is a JVM Permissions issue related to a security policy in the JVM.

And are you trying to use the Java callout from within a "trial" organization on the hosted version of Apigee Edge?

If so, the error you are observing is expected.

Apigee Edge trial organizations have always had the limitation that Java callouts are not supported. But Apigee was not strict about enforcing that restriction. You didn't see the Java callout in the UI for trial orgs, but you could still deploy API proxies that used Java callouts if you used the management APIs.

Sometime in the Autumn of 2016, Apigee began strictly enforcing the limitation in new trial organizations. Also, trial organizations will now be time-limited.

There is no way for you, as a user of the Apigee-managed Edge service, to modify this.

You can sign up for an evaluation, which will get you an unrestricted Edge organization.

To do that you need to contact a salesrep!

EDIT: We are reviewing the decision to restrict Java callouts from running on the trial organizations. That restriction may be removed. More updates as we get them. But for now (2016 Dec 13), it's still in place.

Thanks, yep I did find that out on another thread and via a Apigee contact. Thanks for the update.

Not applicable

@Anthony can you share the link where did the settings for the permission issue. I'm encountering same situation. Thanks in advance

Hi Sourav Das

Dino's answer above is correct. From the free trial Apigee instance you cannot call out to Java. So you need to get a full/licensed version of Apigee for this capability.

Thanks

Anthony.

Hi @Anthony,

I am using Enterprise account. I am able to use simple examples with Java Callout but I am getting this kind of issue while I am trying to encrypt Payload for Endpoint call.

https://community.apigee.com/questions/42861/java-call-out-access-denied-orgapachexmlsecurityre.html

Thanks,

Sourav