What is the minimum recommended heap size for edgemicro?

Not applicable

Is there a recommended minimum heap size for edgemicro? The default maximum heap size for V8 is 1.5Gb which is much more than we're willing to have Edge Microgateway consume on a VM (not very micro at that size).

I've done some preliminary testing with the --max_old_space_size V8 option at 256MB with what seems to be reasonable results (except for large API responses).

I've also tried it at 128MB and ran into some problems, but none of them were obvious memory related issues. Haven't had time to investigate further.

Is there a minimum size that Apigee recommends?

Thanks!

1 2 290
2 REPLIES 2

Former Community Member
Not applicable
@David Teirney

It is true that EM ships with default node.js settings. I wouldn't say those are recommended settings. The recommended setting depends on SLA/performance requirements. You'd want to derive those from performance testing.

Is there more information about how additional RAM influences the performance of Edgemicro? With it being a streaming proxy server I can't see how more RAM would help, other than to reduce the number of GC cycles that it runs through to clean out garbage that's created by Edgemicro.

I've only started reviewing the GC and eventloop characteristics of Edgemicro to deduce this information. Would be helpful if Apigee could publish some information about this.