How can i migrate Cassandra and Zookeeper applications to a new VM on Edge On-Prem?

In order to accommodate higher traffic volumes, I would like to move my Cassandra and Zookeeper instances from its current shared VM to its own dedicated VM. My Cassandra and Zookeeper currently reside on a VM which also runs the Management Server, UI, and LDAP.

Is there any documented procedure for doing this kind of "migration?" The Apigee On-Prem Operations Guide PDF explains how to change the IP of Cassandra and Zookeeper instances, but nothing on migration.

Any insight would be very much appreciated!

Best, Chris

Solved Solved
2 4 1,018
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not applicable
I'm not aware of any utilities to facilitate moving Postgres and Zookeeper, but I think the process *should* be fairly straightforward... that said, it's probably even easier and less disruptive to API traffic to move the management server, UI and LDAP off of the C*/ZK system.

-- Add a new management server VM with MS, UI and OpenLDAP. Configure OpenLDAP for multi-master replication with the existing LDAP server.

-- Re-point the MS and UI DNS names to the new systems, or add a load balancer such that you can balance traffic across old and new VMs.

-- When things have settled down, remove the old MS and UI, and un-replicate and remove the old OpenLDAP.

Important note: I have not tried this myself, but based on what I know I believe that it will work. As always, backups are really useful 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Former Community Member
Not applicable

Hi @Chris Covney is this topology that you are currently using in production today or this is some non-prod environment? Typically Cassandra & Zookeeper should have a dedicated VM. @Chris von See / @Maruti Chand are you aware of any utilities to migrate existing instances?

Not applicable
I'm not aware of any utilities to facilitate moving Postgres and Zookeeper, but I think the process *should* be fairly straightforward... that said, it's probably even easier and less disruptive to API traffic to move the management server, UI and LDAP off of the C*/ZK system.

-- Add a new management server VM with MS, UI and OpenLDAP. Configure OpenLDAP for multi-master replication with the existing LDAP server.

-- Re-point the MS and UI DNS names to the new systems, or add a load balancer such that you can balance traffic across old and new VMs.

-- When things have settled down, remove the old MS and UI, and un-replicate and remove the old OpenLDAP.

Important note: I have not tried this myself, but based on what I know I believe that it will work. As always, backups are really useful 🙂

Hi Chris,

This is a very good alternative. We have moved forward with this and are working with @Dave Newman in the execution. Thanks everyone for all the helpful responses!

Best, Chris

Not applicable

Even I don't think of any standard scripts but I like @Chris von See's idea of moving the MS+UI+Ldap instead of C*+ZK so that you can avoid dealing with backup/restore of data .

However, you can install a new C*+ Zk on a different VM backup /restore the data and add them to the existing MS . This was tried by @maudrit earlier .