What is the significance of "TargetIdentifier" in "ConcurrentRateLimit" policy ?

Since Concurrent rate limit policy can be attached only to the targetendpoint "Preflow" request & "Postflow" response, System should know the name of "TargetEndpoint" to which it is attached. Why do we need to explicitly specify the same ? Or, Is it like that's how the policy is designed ?

Am I missing something ?

3759-screen-shot-2016-10-18-at-43329-pm.png

Solved Solved
0 4 257
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Let me start by saying, Thank you to @Siddharth patnaik who asked a question here that helped me to explore more about concurrent limit policy that answered this question.

As the doc says, It's not the name of the TargetEndpoint to which the throttling should be applied. It's an identifier for ConcurrentRateLimit policy counter. This will be helpful if you would like to dynamically throttle inbound connections based on runtime API variables. For more related to this use case, see the question here asked by @Siddharth patnaik .

While figuring this out, I have also identified a bug in attaching multiple concurrent rate limit policies using Edge UI. I have captured same how concurrent rate limit policy works, the significance of targetidentiifer , how to throttle allowed concurrent connections based on API runtime variables like headers in below video.

Hope it helps someone looking for same. Keep us posted if any. Thank you @Siddharth patnaik for asking great question once again.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Let me start by saying, Thank you to @Siddharth patnaik who asked a question here that helped me to explore more about concurrent limit policy that answered this question.

As the doc says, It's not the name of the TargetEndpoint to which the throttling should be applied. It's an identifier for ConcurrentRateLimit policy counter. This will be helpful if you would like to dynamically throttle inbound connections based on runtime API variables. For more related to this use case, see the question here asked by @Siddharth patnaik .

While figuring this out, I have also identified a bug in attaching multiple concurrent rate limit policies using Edge UI. I have captured same how concurrent rate limit policy works, the significance of targetidentiifer , how to throttle allowed concurrent connections based on API runtime variables like headers in below video.

Hope it helps someone looking for same. Keep us posted if any. Thank you @Siddharth patnaik for asking great question once again.

@docs , We need to update the description of TargetIdentifier element in concurrent rate limit policy to reflect the changes. Also, You will be interested in above video that clarifies how everything works. Keep us posted if any. @Floyd Jones @sgilson @wwitman FYI

Hi Anil - Thank you very much for the great explanation. Looks like a viable solution for us. Will try out a quick POC and will get back.

Thanks again. Really appreciate your help !

Anytime @Siddharth patnaik , Keep us posted.

Also, Please use comments for discussion instead of posting same as answers. Answers are strictly for answers. After your POC, once your query is resolved, please accept the answer in your question here.