can we make scope attribute dynamic in oauthv2 policy?

Not applicable

We are using oauthV2 policy to validate the token with given scopes.

i.e.

clients hitting /api1/ should have scope api1

clients /api2/ hitting /api2/ should have scope api2 and so on

We are using flow variables

<Step>    
<Name>verifyOauthv2AccessToken-api1</Name>    
<Condition>(proxy.pathsuffix MatchesPath "/api1/**")</Condition>
</Step>
<Step>    
<Name>verifyOauthv2AccessToken-api2</Name>    
<Condition>(proxy.pathsuffix MatchesPath "/api2/**")</Condition>
</Step>

Each verify policy we have scopes hardcoded like below

<OAuthV2name="ValidateOauthScopePolicy">
<Operation>VerifyAccessToken</Operation>
<Scope>api1</Scope>
</OAuthV2>

Question:

is it allowed to make the scope attribute dynamic? Setting it via javascript and using the variable in verifytoken policy scope attribute like

<OAuthV2name="ValidateOauthScopePolicy">
<Operation>VerifyAccessToken</Operation>
<Scope>{custom.scopeapi1}</Scope>
</OAuthV2>

I already tried this and it seems that its not working so wanted to check if I am missing anything or is it not allowed? It will help us to have only one policy instead of having multiple verify token policies for each service level scope.

Solved Solved
0 7 687
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not applicable

For VerifyAccessToken policy, variables are not allowed for scope. This is mentioned in the documentation:

"If this element appears in a "VerifyAccessToken" policy, then it is used to specify which scopes the policy should enforce. In this type of policy, the value must be a "hard coded" scope name -- you can't use variables." @ http://docs.apigee.com/api-services/content/oauthv2-policy

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Not applicable

For VerifyAccessToken policy, variables are not allowed for scope. This is mentioned in the documentation:

"If this element appears in a "VerifyAccessToken" policy, then it is used to specify which scopes the policy should enforce. In this type of policy, the value must be a "hard coded" scope name -- you can't use variables." @ http://docs.apigee.com/api-services/content/oauthv2-policy

Thanks @Sathish Balasubramaniyan for confirmation.

You may not need multiple "VerifyAccessToken" policies.

Remember: you can also use Condition elements in the proxy flow to check for the presence of scope, AFTER the VerifyAccessToken policy populates the context variables.

Thanks @Dino, thats a great option too.

@Dino - In our case, we are providing a shared component for token verification, and exposing as a standard to all our internal customers. That means Hardcoded scopes in VerifyAccessToken policy will not work for us. Is their any workaround for this use case ?

Are there any plans to make the scope element dynamic (with variables) in the VerifyAccessToken policy?

We have the same requirement as stated above: we would like to create a standard way of checking/creating tokens in a shared component. It would be handy if the scope element could be a variable.

I suggest that you ask new questions as a new question.