what is value addition of volos extensions when we have apigee policies which does more or less same purpose?

Dear Team,

We do have good number of volos extensions like OAuth 2.0 authorization, API key validation, quota management, and caching , which can be done via apigee policies also 🙂 .

• Does apigee recommend to use volos extensions to use in these cases or to use apigee policies
  • Also which would execute faster- apigee policies or volos extension - if anyone have a benchmark

Thank you team in advance .

Solved Solved
0 2 416
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Sujith Mathew,

To answer your question as to why we have separate Volos extensions:

Volos and Apigee-127 together provide developers ability to develop and test their APIs locally.

More details about Volos can found at blog Introduction to Volos.

Does apigee recommend to use volos extensions to use in these cases or to use apigee policies

As far as best practices are concerned it is a call on the solution complexity and flexibility.

For simple straight forward APIs its always better to go with apigee policies.

If you really need to provide flexibility then you can use node based proxies, in this case you can use volos extensions.

Also which would execute faster- apigee policies or volos extension - if anyone have a benchmark

I don't think there is a benchmark set for apigee policies vs volos. But I presume apigee policies will turn out faster than volos as they are part of the platform and tightly coupled with the product. Where as volos run as node modules separately in custom implementation on Trirem an embedded inside JVM.

Hope this helps 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @Sujith Mathew,

To answer your question as to why we have separate Volos extensions:

Volos and Apigee-127 together provide developers ability to develop and test their APIs locally.

More details about Volos can found at blog Introduction to Volos.

Does apigee recommend to use volos extensions to use in these cases or to use apigee policies

As far as best practices are concerned it is a call on the solution complexity and flexibility.

For simple straight forward APIs its always better to go with apigee policies.

If you really need to provide flexibility then you can use node based proxies, in this case you can use volos extensions.

Also which would execute faster- apigee policies or volos extension - if anyone have a benchmark

I don't think there is a benchmark set for apigee policies vs volos. But I presume apigee policies will turn out faster than volos as they are part of the platform and tightly coupled with the product. Where as volos run as node modules separately in custom implementation on Trirem an embedded inside JVM.

Hope this helps 🙂

@Mohammed Zuber

Thank you