<Scope>request.formparam.scope</Scope>
    <ExpiresIn>1200000</ExpiresIn>
    <SupportedGrantTypes>
        <GrantType>client_credentials</GrantType>
    </SupportedGrantTypes>
    <GenerateResponse enabled="false"/>
</OAuthV2>

When I send the following request

curl -v -X POST -d 'grant_type=client_credentials' https://myorg.apigee.net/v1/oauth/token

The request fails as expected (because the client_id and client_credentials are not present), and I see in trace that the policy fails, and the fault that is raised (InvalidClientIdentifier)

But when I send this other request

curl -v -X POST -d 'grant_type=password' https://myorg.apigee.net/v1/oauth/token

My expectation would have been that the policy also fails, with fault UnsupportedGrantType, but it simply does not fail, an continues execution.

However, if I change GenerateResponse to true it generates a 400 Error response with the following payload

{"ErrorCode" : "invalid_request", "Error" :"Unsupported grant type : password"}

I think that the policy should be consistent in its behaviour and if I have set GenerateResponse to false and there is a fault, because the grant_type is not supported, it should actually raise it, like in the InvalidClientIdentifier case.

Any ideas why the policy does not raise the fault in this particular case?

1 4 454
4 REPLIES 4

@Miren

Thanks for bringing this up -- your explanation is clear and it was easy to reproduce. I have a feeling this is a bug in the policy. I don't think it's an undocumented special case of some kind.

I think with your configuration the OAuth2 policy should throw a runtime error, enter the error flow, and populate the appropriate error variables. But as you pointed out, it doesn't do that.

This makes it difficult to trap the error in a fault rule to return a custom error message, for example. I'll raise a bug and see if it can be addressed either with better explanation or by fixing the code (if it is a bug) and report back.

@wwitman Thanks, I already opened a bug report last week.

Is there any update to above issue?

@Anil Sagar @Dino

Here's the update.

This problem is still present in the GenerateAccessToken behavior.

The reference number on this is b/67167849 .