Installing and running edge as a different user.

I have a requirement wherein the installation and setup of edge on RHEL servers should use a custom user (domain user) instead of 'apigee'.

The documentation says:

"The installation procedure creates a Unix system user named 'apigee'. Edge directories and files are owned by 'apigee', as are Edge processes. That means Edge components run as the 'apigee' user. if necessary, you can run components as a different user. See Binding the Router to a protected port for an example."

My question is:

1. Is it possible to setup/install edge as a different user.

2. Is it possible to run all edge components/service as a different user. I see it documented only for edge router. If yes, how do I accomplish this. Is it as simple as below for all components, ie creating a RUN_USER.sh for all components - mp, cassandra, openldap, ms, ui, zookeeper.

To run the Router as a different user:

1. As root, create the file /opt/apigee/etc/edge-router.d/RUN_USER.sh.
  2. Add the following entry to the file:
    RUN_USER=root
    If you do not want to run the Router as root, specify a user with access to the port.
  3. Save the file.
  4. If you specified a user other than root, change the owner of the file to that user:
    > chown USER:USER /opt/apigee/etc/edge-router.d/RUN_USER.sh
  5. Restart router:

Thanks

Thufael

1 1 625
1 REPLY 1

Not applicable

You will need root to install Edge RPMs.

The installation process creates an apigee user (apigee:apigee) which owns all processes and it is used to own the installation directory /opt/apigee

All administrative functions post installation with the exception of installing new components (RPM install) can be done with apigee user