Has anyone else noticed edgemicro consuming lots of memory?

Not applicable

We've been doing some initial load testing with edgemicro and found that the node process grows quite significantly, the rate of growth depending on the size of the API response payloads.

We've also noticed that after the load test finishes the node process is retaining that memory use.

We'll continue with more investigation but we're curious whether anyone else using edgemicro has noticed this behavior in a production environment.

1 4 464
4 REPLIES 4

Former Community Member
Not applicable

I think the behaviour is expected. Memory is allocated for the largest message (and memory is not given up until GC runs). As long as memory doesn’t keep increasing, it is not a sign of trouble.

Not applicable

It would be expected for the process to grow according to concurrent load. Also, I wouldn't necessarily expect the process size to shrink afterward - that would be up to the garbage collector. The only concern I would have is if the size continues to grow unbounded over time with a constant load. In that case, I would suspect that there could be a memory leak.

I wouldn't expect the memory to increase based on the size of the largest message. Like many proxy implementations, I would expect it to be streaming data between the client HTTP connection and the the proxy HTTP connection. We have some APIs that stream quite large data payloads. We have no problems with Apache proxying those APIs - there is no memory increase for the httpd process even when streaming back responses that are 10s of MB in size. The edgemicro node process consumed well over half of the available RAM on the load test box eventually causing paging hell and hasn't released any of that memory 6 hours after the load test finished.

Does anyone know if there's a signal that can be sent to the edgemicro node process to trigger a heapdump? This looks and smells like a memory leak.

We are also facing similar issue of consuming issue and keept it after process also. How can we come out of this memory issue?