What does the developer portal use Panels for? Can I remove it?

Not applicable

I've noticed a couple of recent security updates are required to the Drupal panels module. Since this module is loaded in the `/sites/all/modules/contrib` folder of my portal, and not the `/profiles/apigee/modules/contrib` folder, I guess that I am expected to maintain it, and security updates will not be provided by Apigee.

However, reading the description on the Panels module page, it's not really clear what it's providing for me. I don't think that any extra modules we use requires panels, and when I disable it on my local instance, everything seems fine. Is Panels required for the Apigee Developer Portal, or can I uninstall it?

Solved Solved
1 5 117
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not applicable

Panels was enabled (though never used) in very old Dev Portal installs, dating from 2013 or earlier. It was removed from the Apigee profile a couple years ago, and for those customers who had it enabled, we created a copy under sites/all/modules so that your site wouldn't break.

Unless you have done custom site-building using Panels (for example, embedding panels in the page manager), you can probably disable the module and remove its code in perfect safety.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Interesting question. I thought that modules appearing in ./sites/all/modules was something the customer / portal-owner would have installed. Or maybe a person acting on your behalf, like a devportal customizer.

Not applicable

For those of you who want to know more about panels, here's a more detailed description. Still not clear if the Developer Portal implementation requires them through....

Not applicable

Panels was enabled (though never used) in very old Dev Portal installs, dating from 2013 or earlier. It was removed from the Apigee profile a couple years ago, and for those customers who had it enabled, we created a copy under sites/all/modules so that your site wouldn't break.

Unless you have done custom site-building using Panels (for example, embedding panels in the page manager), you can probably disable the module and remove its code in perfect safety.

Excellent, I'm looking forward to deleting it 🙂

Perhaps this a question for @cesar, but do you also happen to know if the Smartdocs Menu / Relationships module requires panels?

@tpearson: I am not familiar with that module, but I don't believe Cesar was in the habit of using Panels; I don't believe anyone on the Apigee team has ever done much with them.

Cesar has moved on to other career opportunities and I do not believe he is active in this community anymore.