Hybrid Deployment -- Best Practice and Architecture

Not applicable

Hi API Experts,

We have a scenario where APIGEE On Premise solution has been deployed and currently used for many scenarios like

1. On Premise systems are interacting with On Premise systems using API's
  2. On Premise systems are interacting with Cloud systems using API's
  3. Cloud systems are interacting with On Premise using API's

However for scenarios like two cloud based systems needs to interact using API's.

1. Do we need a cloud hosted APIGEE solution i.e. APIGEE on cloud?
  2. I know we can use current "On Premise" APIGEE to host API's which cloud based systems can call but is that a Good Architecture to host API's on a "On Premise" system which would be consumed by cloud based applications? In such scenario calls from cloud system goes from cloud to On premise to Cloud. Is this best practice?
  3. Is there any guidance document or best practice document which states why do we need & when do we need a hybrid deployment?
  4. If we have hybrid deployment then which API's should be published in cloud instance and which API's should be published on "On Premise" instance
  5. Can we deploy a single API whether "on premise" or "on cloud" and use that seamlessly across the two instances i.e. "on premise" and "on cloud"

Any link or document or guidance in this regard would be really appreciated.

Regards

0 3 1,502
3 REPLIES 3

@APIGEE API ,

Great Questions, Please find answers to your queries below.

1. Do we need a cloud hosted APIGEE solution i.e. APIGEE on cloud?
    • NO, It doesn't matter. It's upto you whether you would like to provide access to outside systems to access API gateway hosted on OnPremises.
    • You can install Apigee OPDK (OnPremises Developement Kit) on your own private cloud / data centers & define the rules to allow access.
  2. I know we can use current "On Premise" APIGEE to host API's which cloud based systems can call but is that a Good Architecture to host API's on a "On Premise" system which would be consumed by cloud based applications? In such scenario calls from cloud system goes from cloud to On premise to Cloud.Is this best practice?
    • It depends, Let's say if it's own private cloud which resides in geo territory of your user base & you have all the expertise in managing private cloud then you can do that .
    • Apigee Cloud has more advantages than Apigee OPDK since you get SLAs & maintenance will be taken care by Apigee.
  3. Is there any guidance document or best practice document which states why do we need & when do we need a hybrid deployment?
  • Are you talking about micro-gateway ? I believe not. Talk to Apigee sales if you are considering cloud. They can clarify all your questions. Apigee Sales Engineers are happy to answer all your technical queries.

4. If we have hybrid deployment then which API's should be published in cloud instance and which API's should be published on "On Premise" instance

5. Can we deploy a single API whether "on premise" or "on cloud" and use that seamlessly across the two instances i.e. "on premise" and "on cloud"

• Yes, You can. At the end of the day it's API exposed from Apigee Edge. For outside world it doesn't matter "onpremises" / "on cloud'.

Hope it helps.

Thanks @Anil Sagar for your reply.
I'm in touch with APIGEE Sales

Glad it helped @APIGEE API , Keep us posted moving forward if any.