504 Gateway Timeout issue

Not applicable

Good afternoon

I am hoping to get some direction on an issue we are having. A client of ours is getting a high number of 504 Gateway Timeout errors for transactions that take longer than 57 or 58 seconds to process.

when I force the issue (I can recreate on demand) and run the transaction through Edge Trace, I get a response back in 60 seconds stating that there was no response (200 status), but the client (simulated using Postman) gets a 504 Gateway Timeout error.

We have already tried a number of things based off research I have done on the subject.

We added timeout properties to the HTTPProxyConnection

<Property name="io.timeout.millis">300000</Property>

<Property name="keepalive.timeout.millis">300000</Property>

<Property name="connect.timeout.millis">300000</Property>

we also bumped up the server container timeout settings to 120000

what are we missing? What all needs to be restarted in order to pick up the new settings in the properties files?

1 6 4,665
6 REPLIES 6

@Don Long , Is your Apigee Edge on Onpremises / Edge cloud ?

Not applicable

Hi,

As you have mentioned properties file I assume you are running Private Cloud (OPDK)? The version you are running matters as the method of setting values in the configuration is different between

4.15.xx and 4.16.xx

57 seconds is exactly the default router ----> mp timeout for 4.16.01 and 4.16.05

The answer is here:

https://community.apigee.com/questions/28500/javaioioexception-broken-pipe-issue-when-target-se.html

You just need to add the following file and entry:

/$APIGEE_ROOT/customer/application/router.properties

conf_load_balancing_load.balancing.driver.proxy.read.timeout=<time in seconds>

Set it to whatever is reasonable for your environment.

Restart the edge-router in then usual way.

$APIGEE_ROOT/apigee-service/bin/apigee-service edge-router rest

Thanks Russell. I already passed this information along to the rest of the team and we are investigating.

Not applicable

We are using a private cloud.

Hi,

Please see my answer above. I guess you were. The solution given works for 4.16.xx.

Hi, Our plan is cloud and is not accepting the configuration applied. thanks.
Can you help me please!