What is "Developer Administrator" role in Apigee Edge ? Why do i see an user (devadmin+orgnamehere@apigee.com) auto-added to my Edge Org ?

What is the devadmin+orgnamehere@apigee.com Apigee Edge Org User with Role "Developer Administrator” is used for in Edge? I know it has to do with Dev Portal but it's not listed in Roles in Docs ?

~~Q:S:S~~

Solved Solved
1 10 1,963
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The Devadmin role is created when the Apigee Developer portal is provisioned. This role is used to associate/link a Dev Portal instance with an Apigee Edge organization, so that the Dev Portal can display apps, products, credentials (API Keys and secrets), etc for each developer that registers. Provisioning a Dev Portal also creates an Apigee Edge devadmin+orgnamehere@apigee.com account and assigns it to the Apigee Dev Admin role.

If you login to Apigee Edge public cloud and attempt to assign a user to the Devadmin role, then it should not allow it. So this role can only be used by the Apigee Dev Portal. If you have a Dev Portal and you can login as an administrator, then click Configuration > Dev Portal on the administration menu and you should see a screen similar to the one below. This is where the devadmin user in configured in the Dev Portal. If this screen is not configured, then your Dev Portal will not function correctly.

3277-screen-shot-2016-08-01-at-91444-am.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

The Devadmin role is created when the Apigee Developer portal is provisioned. This role is used to associate/link a Dev Portal instance with an Apigee Edge organization, so that the Dev Portal can display apps, products, credentials (API Keys and secrets), etc for each developer that registers. Provisioning a Dev Portal also creates an Apigee Edge devadmin+orgnamehere@apigee.com account and assigns it to the Apigee Dev Admin role.

If you login to Apigee Edge public cloud and attempt to assign a user to the Devadmin role, then it should not allow it. So this role can only be used by the Apigee Dev Portal. If you have a Dev Portal and you can login as an administrator, then click Configuration > Dev Portal on the administration menu and you should see a screen similar to the one below. This is where the devadmin user in configured in the Dev Portal. If this screen is not configured, then your Dev Portal will not function correctly.

3277-screen-shot-2016-08-01-at-91444-am.png

Thank you @swilliams, It's helpful.

As far as I can tell by looking at Edge and the docs Creating a developer portal the Developer Administrator is a "special" role that is used by the Dev Portal to access Edge via Management APIs to create Developers, Apps, etc.

It is setup by Apigee during configuration of the Dev Portal. You can view the permissions this role has in Edge via Admin-->Organization Roles

Not applicable

Can we change ID devadmin+*****@apigee.com to different account.

If so how can we do that.

Public cloud customers cannot change it, but I think if you are an on-premises customer then you can change it.

Thank you Swilliams.

@Pradeep Ande , You mean connect developer portal to different Apigee Edge Org ? If Yes, You can do that on cloud & on-premises too. You need to do same from command line using drush. The moment you do that switch all users, apps will start interacting with new org.

Any reason you would like to do same ? Can you please give us better context to understand your requirement. Keep us posted.

@Anil Sagar as per our compliance, we would like have access to only internal domain users only. as devadmin+****@apigee.com is not internal to our company, we are looking at options to change the account.

I know it can be configured for On Premise during install, so its feasible to change. I tried using the management API to add another user to that role but got Forbidden. If you could do that, then you would have to go behind the curtain in Dev Portal to change the UN and PW.