Vault Permissions Custom Roles

Hi,

We have created a bunch of custom roles for our on-prem instance of Apigee Edge. One of our customers wants to create vaults and vault entries. What permissions do I need to assign them so they can do that? If there aren't permissions that can be assigned, then who can create vaults and vault entries? only Org Admins?

Solved Solved
2 9 360
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Great Question @daniel.biales ,

As you know, Apigee Edge platform itself is powered by APIs & same are called as Management APIs in Apigee.

Add Permissions for Resource to a Role , Management APIs gives you the ability to provide permissions to any role including custom role. Unfortunately, Ability to provide these permissions in Apigee Management UI is missing but with above #Api you can achieve same.

See sample API call to provide create vault at org level permission to custom role below,

curl -X POST -H "Authorization: Basic XXXX" -H "Content-Type: application/json" -H  -d '{
 "path" : "/vaults",
 "permissions" : [ "put" ]
}' "https://api.enterprise.apigee.com/v1/organizations/{ORGNAME}/userroles/{customRoleName}/permissions"

Just replace the permissions path, Auth Headers, Path & Permissions as per your need.

Keep us posted if you have any queries. Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Great Question @daniel.biales ,

As you know, Apigee Edge platform itself is powered by APIs & same are called as Management APIs in Apigee.

Add Permissions for Resource to a Role , Management APIs gives you the ability to provide permissions to any role including custom role. Unfortunately, Ability to provide these permissions in Apigee Management UI is missing but with above #Api you can achieve same.

See sample API call to provide create vault at org level permission to custom role below,

curl -X POST -H "Authorization: Basic XXXX" -H "Content-Type: application/json" -H  -d '{
 "path" : "/vaults",
 "permissions" : [ "put" ]
}' "https://api.enterprise.apigee.com/v1/organizations/{ORGNAME}/userroles/{customRoleName}/permissions"

Just replace the permissions path, Auth Headers, Path & Permissions as per your need.

Keep us posted if you have any queries. Hope it helps.

What is the path for proxies? I know the old documentation used to say /applications/{proxy name} but I wasn't sure if that had changed

@daniel.biales , You can find all APIs, API Paths, More details here. Api proxy related apis starts with "/apis/"

ok cause I was trying to do something like a permission so that a user can only edit APIs that follow a certain naming convention. like "path":"/apis/group-name-*" This pattern seems to work for vault and product permissions but it doesn't work for apis. Do you have any ideas of how to do that for proxies?

@daniel.biales , I don't think it supports regular expression like patterns, but you certainly try a specific proxy & let us know if it works. If it works then you have to add all API Proxies. Great idea to post in Ideas section.

@Anil Sagar

the regular expressions seem to work with Vault and product permissions. I know it works for specific proxy names I was just hoping to do some pattern matching. I will post in Ideas and see if anyone has done this.

@daniel.biales , Looks like it's a bug / missing feature since it works for vault & product permissions but not for apis. I will let engineering team know about this. Yep, Go ahead and suggest an idea in ideas section.

akoo

Hello all, I wanted to add an important note: encrypted KVMs are here. Details are in our documentation: http://docs.apigee.com/api-services/reference/key-value-map-operations-policy . You now have an option for encrypted data without having to use Node.js.