Getting started customizing developer portal/coding

Not applicable

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to know how can I get started customizing the developer portal beyond the functionality it offers. I want to use HTML, CSS, and JavaScript to customize and build out the developer portal so I can control the branding and styling of the site, not to mention certain functionality features. How can I do this, and by that, I mean where and what files do I need exactly to get started to code this and edit the code to make changes on the developer portal. I see that based on this article (https://community.apigee.com/articles/2237/developer-portal-quick-starter-guide.html ), the companies used a subtheme from Drupal to create there portal. Is this the recommended approach, and the only approach? Is any Drupal knowledge necessary to successfully build out a portal in your opinion, and if so, is any php knowledge required? The hard part isn’t the coding, but rather, figuring out what I’ll need to get started to start customizing and coding away as I'm unfamilar with Drupal. It seems that being able to create and edit a subtheme is key. Please let me know. If so, what are the file names that I’ll need from the apigee installation to get started programming.

Also is Pantheon used for as well as coding/customizing as I see that towards the bottom as well.

http://docs.apigee.com/developer-services/content/working-pantheon

Thank you

0 4 1,072
4 REPLIES 4

Not applicable

Not applicable

Hello @Shamil Hameed

As dev portal is on Drupal, in order to customize features or look and feel , basic knowledge of Drupal will be required.

In drupal we have theme layer and functional layer separated from each other. In order to change look and feel we will need to extend the theme layer similarly in order to modify the functional aspect we are supposed to do it as functional layer.

Core Structure of dev portal:

The core of dev portal uses concept of distribution. which basically allows to bundle up core features in form of profile, so when you install drupal and choose that particular profile you get all those features out of the box. So if you go to drupal root

<drupal_root> >> profiles >> apigee

You will see

modules directory(core features)

and

themes directory(core theme)

Theme layer: -

- Prerequisites: -

-- Basic knowledge of Drupal theming.
-- Overview of theme file structure and files.
-- In drupal basically we use sub theme concept in order to customize theme.

- How can we modify the current theme -

-- So as said we use child theme to customise theming, in our dev portal you might already have child theme under

<drupal_root> >> sites >> all >> themes >> <name_of_your_child_theme>

-- If you do not have already a child theme setup there, you can create one which extends base theme "apigee_responsive" which is present under drupal_root/profiles/themes/.

-- Child theme is the place where are supposed to customise templates for html or override css.

Functional Layer: -

- Prerequisites: -

-- Basic about Drupal hooks which is a way drupal allows to hook into to alter any core/contributed workflow without actually hacking the core.

-- Understanding on extending core/contributed functionality.

- In order to modify a feature/functionality either we can do it by configurations provided by Drupal framework, or we can extend it using contributed modules., or we can build our own custom modules.

- Write your own custom module.

- Module is the place where are supposed to write code to alter features.

I hope that might give you over view of customisation of dev portal.

Great Answer @Arpit Rastogi

thanks @Anil Sagar