Performance Impact of OAuthV2 Policy

Not applicable

We're doing some performance testing / debugging at the moment on our Apigee on-premises install.

We're using:

- A mock backend that responds very quickly

- A plain proxy without any policies

- Multiple machines generating load via jmeter

We've seen:

-> plain proxy that just routes requests - ~5000 TPS

-> after adding an OAuthV2 policy with operation = VerifyAccessToken - ~600 TPS

Is that kind of performance impact expected when using this policy?

4 5 388
5 REPLIES 5

adas

@Daniel Kift I would need few details from you before we look into this. Following are the things we would need:

- version of Apigee on-premise installer

- topology of your Apigee Edge installation

- hardware configuration of your machines

- the sample proxy bundle with your VerifyAccessToken policy

- are you calling VerifyAccessToken with the same access token or different. How many such tokens are you using in your test ?

You might think, some of these questions do not really matter because the same installation type, hardware and network configuration gave you 5000 TPS for the pass through scenario. The VerifyAccessToken policy involves calls to Cassandra datastores to verify the access token so it involves some heavy operations as compared to the passthrough scenario which is not invoking any other components. So the installed topology and hardware configurations would matter.

Also @Daniel Kift - Apigee has introduced caching into the VerifyAccessToken policy, to avoid the lookup in Cassandra. If you have an older version of Edge, you can do the same, explicitly, using PopulateCache and LookupCache policies around the VerifyAccessToken.

Hi Dino, I'll try that out. Out of interest, do you know which version the token caching was added in?

I'm sorry, I don't know the precise version of OPDK in which the caching was introduced. Perhaps @arghya das can clarify that.

Hi Arghya,

Here's some more information:

Apigee Version - 4.15.07.00

(Partial) topology -

- 4 message-processor/router nodes - 2 in each datacenter

- 6 cassandra nodes - 3 in each datacenter, with 5 zookeeper instances running.

The policy (the rest of the proxy is empty)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<OAuthV2 async="false" continueOnError="true" enabled="true" name="VerifyOAuthTokenAccount">
    <DisplayName>VerifyOAuthTokenAccount</DisplayName>
    <Properties/>
    <ExternalAuthorization>false</ExternalAuthorization>
    <Operation>VerifyAccessToken</Operation>
    <Tokens/>
</OAuthV2>

Is there any specific hardware config you'd be interested in?