Participant V

I am using a quota policy as below, 10 request per week,

<Quota  name="Quota-1" type="flexi">
    <DisplayName>Quota-1</DisplayName>
    <Properties/>
    <Distributed>true</Distributed>
    <Synchronous>true</Synchronous>
    <Identifier ref="request.queryparam.apikey"/>
    <Allow countRef="verifyapikey.Verify-API-Key-1.apiproduct.developer.quota.limit"/>
    <Interval ref="verifyapikey.Verify-API-Key-1.apiproduct.developer.quota.interval"/>
    <TimeUnit ref="verifyapikey.Verify-API-Key-1.apiproduct.developer.quota.timeunit"/>
</Quota>

Now I have reached the limit. So I want to use Reset quota,

<ResetQuota name="Reset-Quota-1">
    <DisplayName>Reset Quota-1</DisplayName>
    <Properties/>
    <Quota name="Quota-1">
        <Identifier ref="request.queryparam.apikey">
            <Allow>10</Allow>
        </Identifier>
    </Quota>
</ResetQuota>

So this should ideally allow 10 more requests based on identifier right?

But in trace it shows this,

3076-quota.png

My requirement is when quota(10 request per week) is completed I want to reset it again to 10 requests per week.

How can I do this?

Solved Solved
1 4 3,790
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Barahalikar Siddharth , Great Question.

• If you place the reset quota after quota policy in request / response flow,
    • It will never execute / keep increasing quota of the request so that quota will never end.
    • It will never execute because flow will be changed to error flow & reset quota will never execute
    • It will keep increasing quota & quota will never end because reset quota actually works as increase quota / tempIncreaseQuota. For more detail see link here.
  • If you place the reset quota before quota policy in request / response flow,
    • It will keep increasing quota of the request so that quota will never end until unless you conditionally execute reset quota to increase quota

Ideally, I think, You should place reset quota policy in fault rules with a specific condition match to reset quota.

The ResetQuota policy should really be called "IncreaseQuota" or "TempIncreaseQuota" because the way it works is:

- Add a value to available.count

- Subtract that same value from used.count

Those changes disappear when the Quota policy next resets!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@Barahalikar Siddharth , See similar question here that explains how it works

@Anil Sagar, ok so reset quota adds 'n' more requests to my quota limit.

But after reset I can hit the service for more than 'n' times and no error( limit exceeded ) is thrown.

Where should the reset quota be placed? after quota?

@Barahalikar Siddharth , Great Question.

• If you place the reset quota after quota policy in request / response flow,
    • It will never execute / keep increasing quota of the request so that quota will never end.
    • It will never execute because flow will be changed to error flow & reset quota will never execute
    • It will keep increasing quota & quota will never end because reset quota actually works as increase quota / tempIncreaseQuota. For more detail see link here.
  • If you place the reset quota before quota policy in request / response flow,
    • It will keep increasing quota of the request so that quota will never end until unless you conditionally execute reset quota to increase quota

Ideally, I think, You should place reset quota policy in fault rules with a specific condition match to reset quota.

The ResetQuota policy should really be called "IncreaseQuota" or "TempIncreaseQuota" because the way it works is:

- Add a value to available.count

- Subtract that same value from used.count

Those changes disappear when the Quota policy next resets!

Than you @Anil Sagar, your idea about fault rule worked.

My configuration was,

<FaultRules>
        <FaultRule name="quota-violation">
            <Step>
                <Name>Extracting-Fault-String</Name>
            </Step>
            <Step>
                <Name>fault_Quota-Limit</Name><!-- custom error by assign message -->
            </Step>
            <Step>
                <Name>Reset-Quota-1</Name>
            </Step>
            <Condition>(fault.name == "QuotaViolation")</Condition>
        </FaultRule>
    </FaultRules>