Read Only Org Admin role is not behaving as expected, cannot trace, anyone else using this role?

Trying to use the built in roles to let testers run trace sessions without limited editing ability. Although the Read Only Org Admin role states:

Trace in any environment/environments/*/applications/*/revisions/*/debugsessions

I'm not able to start any trace sessions.

3 6 363
6 REPLIES 6

@Kurt Kanaskie ,

I can able to reproduce the issue for "Read-only Organization Administrator" . Seems like permissions issue & a bug.

As a work-around,

• I have created a new role called "traceAccess"
  • Given Trace Access to different environments

3059-screen-shot-2016-06-30-at-60248-pm.png

• Assigned the trace role along with "Read-only Organization Administrator" role the user.
  • Logout & Login to see the changes.
  • Now, User can read only & do the trace in an org.

I think it's a bug in the product. Good catch..

traceAccess Role Permissions :

{
  "resourcePermission": [
    {
      "organization": "xxxx",
      "path": "/environments/prod/applications/*/revisions/*/debugsessions",
      "permissions": [
        "get",
        "put"
      ]
    },
    {
      "path": "/environments/test/applications/*/revisions/*/debugsessions",
        "get",
        "put"
      ]
    }
  ]
}

readOnlyAdmin Role Permissions :

{
  "resourcePermission": [
    {
      "path": "/environments/*/applications/*/revisions/*/debugsessions",
        "get"
      ]
    },
    {
      "path": "/environments/test/applications/*/revisions/*/debugsessions",
        "get"
      ]
    }
  ]
}

As you can see , PUT access is missing in readOnlyAdmin role, Seems like need PUT method access to use trace.

Ah, OK.

I was considering creating a custom role, but the User role works.

I'll probably create custom roles, especially considering we have different environments than just "test" and "prod".

Not applicable

Creating a trace session requires access to POST against

/environments/{environment_name}/apis/{api_name}/revisions/{revision_number}/debugsessions

As such it would not be a Read Only role - I think the docs (assuming that snip above is from docs) are the issue not the role definition itself. @Floyd Jones would you concur?

@David Allen, at the moment we don't include the specific role definitions in the docs. That's probably coming from the UI when you click the Read-only Organization Administrator role. So this is likely a product issue.

Not applicable

BTW: the ReadOnly can retrieve trace messages from a trace session if the identity of the debugSession is shared with them.

Well, read-only from the perspective of testing and debugging an issue without the ability to change a proxy or deployments. In other words can only see what's going on, like a security monitor 🙂

User role has the ability to start Trace sessions via

Trace in any environment/environments/*/applications/*/revisions/*/debugsessionsGET PUT DELETE